• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum oil pans

peteinjp

Guest Anonymous

I know I have seen one on an M10, but it must have been fabricated aftermarket since it also had cooling tubes a la alfa romeo and for all I know, someone borrowed from that marque and an M30 pan.

ALthough heat transfer may be higher with aluminum, I think the weight difference is negligible. That being said, extra cooling might be accomplished by installing the "cheese grater" air dam/heat sink used by someone on their differential cover - as recently pictured. I know you did not ask this, but I also recall seeing a steel pan with tack welded half-inch channels presumably used as a heat sink (although I bet the pan was super rigid too).

Pete,

Moroso make's an aluminum pan. I believe you can buy this through VAC in Philly. From the couple that I have seen, I wouldn't want to use it. The leak!!!

Bob

I've got an oil pan in the works that holds another qt and is fully baffled. Uses a modified 320 oil pump. It won't be cheap.

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

Guest Anonymous
just wonderd why an aluminum oil pan is better .does it cool the oil that is being stored there . and if so does it make a big diffrence ?

Yes, you answered your own question. Don't see that many steel radiators? Effectiveness as a heat sink depends a lot on area of exposed surface/s exposed to air or medium to be cooled. Difference can be marginal to great.