• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Emissions Equip Quetions

baron02

I just pulled the head and taken it to the machine shop. In the process noticed a lot of wires/hoses that I may or may not need. I have the original solex 2bbl. Any advice? Should I just put everything back together as it was or eliminate anything?

Thanks,

Baron

73's didn't have an air pump, only some vacuum switches mounted on the firewall (on the carb side) and an EGR valve. I discovered on my '73 that the wiring harness for the vacuum switches and other related emission stuff is entirely separate from the car's main wiring harness, so can be unplugged and the switches removed without having to cut/tape any wires.

The stainless steel EGR pipe that plugs into the intake manifold can be removed, and you can make or buy a plate to seal the hole. Same with the other end of the pipe in the exhaust manifold. If you can get the threaded fitting off, you can plug the hole with a quarter and reinstall the fitting minus the pipe.

There's a seemingly unused black wire that is taped up out of the way near the carb--that's for an anti-dieseling valve that was fitted to some (not US) cars--you can still buy 'em if your car tends to run on after you switch off the engine.

Once you've removed all the emissions related vacuum lines, be sure and plug the remaining holes in the intake manifold and carb. And tape the wire that the emissions wiring harness plugged into so it won't dangle around and short on something. You'll find the car runs much better with all that junk removed--and count your blessings--73s and 74's have the least amount of emissions stuff of any US 2002...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have a '73 and removed all the parts as was mentioned. Probably did that about 20 years back.

As far as the EGR line... I just cut mine off near the base of the flange as it mounts to the intake manifold and put a cover over it. They have those covers/plugs at any auto parts store.

It just slips over and you're set.

Kevin

Seattle

1970 2800CS - 1985 728i - 2001 E38