• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SR71X starter install issues,

beast02er

I have installed the BOSCH SR71X starter (straight bolt in as far as I have found) and when I went to start the car, the motor just spun freely. I have untightened, retightened, unbolted and reinstalled the motor, and it still does it. It seems like the gears aren't in contact....so is there some modifications I need to do?

Thanks,

Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

You sure its not an issue with the wiring? The posts are a bit different from a stock 02 on the small starter, so you're probably not engaging the solenoid properly. I wish I could recall the proper wiring... or if you give me a minute, ill walk five feet over to my car and look.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I have the small body.

The only wire I wasn't sure about was the smallest one, hooked up to either of two prongs, I hooked it up to the one closest to the intake ports (like it was on the stock 02 starter motor)

that small wire connects to the other set of connections, should be able to see he area where you connect it.

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

I have the small body.

The only wire I wasn't sure about was the smallest one, hooked up to either of two prongs, I hooked it up to the one closest to the intake ports (like it was on the stock 02 starter motor)

It needs to be hooked to the bottom prong instead. :)

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

So the wiring being wrong would cause it to spin freely, but not engage the actual gearing? Seems odd that if I had the wiring wrong it would still spin.

I will try tonight though

Thanks

Yes, you were triggering the starter motor by itself. You need to instead trigger it thru the solenoid, which which will push the gear (pinion/bendix?) out to engage the flywheel.

Bring a Welder