• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

removing ignition lock

flaminglip

So I have isolated my ignition woes to the actual key mechanism. After using the search function I tried removing the actual key cylinder..... I drilled out the set screw on the bottom and the mechanism still doesnt come out.

2 questions..... how deep was I supposed to drill to free the lock mechanism? I keep reading about previous articles/publications regarding this process, but cant find any. Could someone please forward them or post me a link?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me so far!!!

post-15073-13667594530553_thumb.jpg

the lock--it holds the actual lock in its housing--you should be able to pull the cylinder right out.

I did a column on dismantling the lock cylinder itself to fix a stuck mechanism--mine wouldn't go to the start position. There's a little pot metal piece inside the lock cylinder that prevents you from turning the key to the start position more than once without turning the ignition off. That had broken on my lock, causing it to jam.

Drop me an e-mail and I'll send you instructions on how to dismantle the lock cylinder (once you have it removed from its housing) and repair it.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

UPDATE!

Got the lock cylinder out and the mechanism seems sound(turns to all positions and key is able to be removed in the off position).

But when I put everything back together the key is able to be removed in the Fahrt position and advances to the start position, but will not turn counterclockwise past Fahrt. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

Mike..... that article would be great if you could forward it to petsinfocus@yahoo.com

at one of my spare locks to visualize what yours is doing (or not doing).

I'll also send you the how-to Roundel column on dismantling the lock cylinder. I'm thinking it's the "anti repeat" piece that's causing the trouble. It can be removed altogether without affecting the lock's function, except that you'll be able to turn the key to "start" a second time without having to turn the ign off first.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

UPDATE!

Got the lock cylinder out and the mechanism seems sound(turns to all positions and key is able to be removed in the off position).

But when I put everything back together the key is able to be removed in the Fahrt position and advances to the start position, but will not turn counterclockwise past Fahrt. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

Well, I wouldn't have even known that this was an issue had I not read this thread.

I just picked up a '72 and it has acted this way since procurement.

I didn't even think about it moving to the left of "FAHRT".

(I don't have a radio or any accesories for that matter so it didn't occure to me the lock might be malfunctioning)

anywho, keep us posted.

thanks

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!