• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Fan Install Question

moljeski

Hello,

I tried to install an electric fan setup I had leftover from another project, but there isn't enough clearance between the radiator and the fan pulley. The pulley has a bump out that sticks out a good bit to center the mechanical fan on. How are you guys who are running this setup doing it. My electric fan isn't very thick, maybe 2" max. Did you guys machine off the hub that holds the fan centered onto the pulley? Thanks

1976 '02 - My first...

put it in front and run it as a pusher fan...

You can build fancy brackets or just go to your local McParts store and buy some radiator fan zip ties for $4 and wire it up.

unless you have AC there is room, remove the kidney and grilles and you can get in there to do the work.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

try mounting in front of radiator, this is a 14inch pusher fan installed with a little bracket to stablize fan(right side), left side is attached to car. its a Hayden(3690) pushing about 1250cfm. had to trim the lower mounting points(2) by about 1/4 inch off the fan housing to fit in that spot. works good.

post-211-13667594436384_thumb.jpg

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

Sorry, I forgot to mention I have AC (and it actually works pretty well!). There really only seems to be room on the engine side. I actually tried the pusher first because I have two fans - a pusher and a puller, but there isn't room with the a/c and it's fan. Anyone out there run a puller? Thanks to you two for your help though...

1976 '02 - My first...

try mounting in front of radiator, this is a 14inch pusher fan installed with a little bracket to stablize fan(right side), left side is attached to car. its a Hayden(3690) pushing about 1250cfm. had to trim the lower mounting points(2) by about 1/4 inch off the fan housing to fit in that spot. works good.

Hi Frank,

Just a couple of Q's. How thick is your Hayden? Any pics showing how much clearance between it and the grille?... The reason i ask is i need to cram an intercooler up there! Its going to be tight.

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Hi Frank,

Just a couple of Q's. How thick is your Hayden? Any pics showing how much clearance between it and the grille?... The reason i ask is i need to cram an intercooler up there! Its going to be tight.

Tom

I have mine set up the same way and after scowering the net this was the thinnest 12" fan I could come up with.

http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/size-push-part-0505-p-201.html?cPath=33

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

Thanks Pinepig, much appreciated! Remind me to buy you a beer whenever im in Sacremento.

How have you found it keeps the cars running temperature? I have the same rad, and now probably the same fan so im interested to hear. Have you had it in 35+ degree celsius heat at any stage for long periods? Oh, and how thick is your intercooler?

Cheers,

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

I have to do the 35 thing in my head but yeah we get mighty damn hot here in the central valley in summer. It'll sit and idle in traffic no problem.

Intercooler 3.5 inches thick, ( I'd personally go a bit thinner if I had to do it again, if JUST fits )

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر