• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard Shifting

sjhowad76

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me diagnose a problem with my 1988 325ic 5 speed.

It is almost impossible to shift into 1st with car running when stopping or already stopped. Other gears are hard shifting either up or down shifting. No grinding, just stiff.

If I turn the car off and then shift into 1st gear (or any other gear), the clutch releases normally. With the car turned off, it shifts into all gears easily.

When starting the car in a forward or reverse gear with clutch depressed, I notice a slight lunge in the gear direction. Not enough to cause me to hit the brakes, but noticeable.

The brake master cylinder is at the proper fluid level, and I do not notice any fluid loss.

I bleed the clutch slave cylinder.

Thanks,

Steve

76 2002

82 735i 5 Speed

88 325ic

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions.

Since I already flushed the clutch with a pressure bleeder and I did not notice any difference in the feel of the clutch pedal or any change in the symptoms, I suspect it is the pilot bearing. Leif thought it was the pilot bearing also.

It will not hurt to flush the whole system since it probably needs it anyway. There is a cup (insert) in the reservoir. Do you leave it when pressure bleeding or remove it?

Thanks again.

My 2002 shifts hard when it's too lean. When it runs rich it shifts smoother until there's a slight grind into second. I have my car tuned somewhere between it shifting hard when too lean and grinding into second when too rich. Might help to counter clockwise turn your ldle mix screw (if it has a carb) and see if it helps. Good synthetic transmission fluid helps too.