• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum refinish

Okanagan02

I bought the one of those kits from BavAuto about 6 months ago and haven't gotten around to using it. I'm assuming that it's the same thing. Some sand paper and a three bottles of stuff. Maybe I'll have to back the car out of the garage tomorrow and see how well or not it works. I am rather skeptical. I'll keep you posted.

paul

Okay, so I used some of this stuff on the driver side B pillar aluminum trim. The B pillars were pretty heavily oxidized on my car. Here are the steps I took, some observations and the results.

1. First I masked around the B Pillar. I cleaned it first with their bottle of 'special' cleaner (which is alcohol, btw).

2. I wet sanded it with a piece of their included 2000 grit sandpaper. The sample car in their video was a new 7 series. I can tell you it took much longer than 2 swipes of the sandpaper on an '02 for the oxidization to disappear*.

*What does not disappear however are (a) 40 years worth of scratches, (B) 40 years of sandblasting from road debris or © any sanding marks from the previous owner's painting prep.

I may try a 1500 paper or possibly a 1000 paper to see if I can get some of the sanding marks to disappear. The piece under my rear window has been sanded to hell by the previous owner.

3. After you sand the piece of aluminum there is some sort of clear polymer that you coat the trim piece with so that it will stay nice and shiny.

Results and Observations: It sort of works in theory (or from a distance) but up close the aluminum trim piece now looks like a shiny scratched and pitted piece of chrome rather than a dull matte finished piece of aluminum.

Also, make sure that none of these are dented, 'cause if they are it will really show (You'll have to trust me on that one)

So is that any better really? It's sure seems like it may be a hell of a lot of work for a different sort of bad.