• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heater box cover

robsanab

looks as if the heater box cover (the part that holds the blower motor) is NLA.

1) is that true?

2) where might i find a used one? (i saw one online somewhere about 6 months ago for a reasonable price but at the time I thought mine was in good shape...can't seem to find where that was)

3) who has had good success repairing them? how? The flange area where I had previously replaced the rivets with screws is pretty broken up around the holes. Flimsy and ready to break in other places.

any suggestions?

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

Bill, I have no idea... is yours out of the car and separated from the rest of the box already?

I have a guy here with a parts car... I'd have to pull the box and then probably drill the rivets etc and hopefully it's in better shape than mine... he said he wouldn't want much for it but we haven't talked price... so, I'll have to get back with you.

I would prefer first to get some suggestions on repairing... I've read the FAQ but my entire flange is getting pretty bad and not sure if a little JBWeld here and there will work.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

Bill, I have no idea... is yours out of the car and separated from the rest of the box already?

I have a guy here with a parts car... I'd have to pull the box and then probably drill the rivets etc and hopefully it's in better shape than mine... he said he wouldn't want much for it but we haven't talked price... so, I'll have to get back with you.

I would prefer first to get some suggestions on repairing... I've read the FAQ but my entire flange is getting pretty bad and not sure if a little JBWeld here and there will work.

If you mean by "flange" the part of the box that bolts to the body, you might want to try fashioning a metal frame (I would suggest using fairly thin, galvanized sheet metal) and JBwelding that to whichever part of the box is the most solid. I have had pretty good luck in using JBweld to fix major cracks in heater boxes.

Heater boxes come up on fleabay from time to time, but they seem to be getting more and more rare. It has been a very long time (if ever) since the box components have been available separately.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga