• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Historic plates on an 02?!

mbaze

Came across a nicely maintained but not-too-special 74-75 02 today with California Historic license plates. Now I'm sure the car has a lot of history. But I didn't realize they gave out historic plates on cars that new. What am I missing here?

'71 Sahara (sold 2019)

'74 '02 (sold 1/09)

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004.htm

5004. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this code, any owner of a vehicle described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) which is operated or moved over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department, be issued special identification plates for the vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965.

(2) A motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 or prior thereto.

(3) A vehicle which was manufactured after 1922, is at least 25 years old, and is of historic interest.

(B) The special identification plates assigned to motor vehicles with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965 and to any motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 and prior thereto shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Horseless Carriage No. 1".

The special identification plates assigned to vehicles specified in paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Historical Vehicle No. 1".

Each series of plates shall have different and distinguishing colors.

© A fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) shall be charged for the initial issuance of the special identification plates. Such plates shall be permanent and shall not be required to be replaced. If such special identification plates become damaged or unserviceable in any manner, replacement for the plates may be obtained from the department upon proper application and upon payment of such fee as is provided for in Section 9265.

(d) All funds received by the department in payment for such identification plates or the replacement thereof shall be deposited in the California Environmental License Plate Fund.

(e) These vehicles shall not be exempt from the equipment provisions of Sections 26709, 27150, and 27600.

(f) As used in this section, a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities.

Amended Ch. 918, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.

sooo. did some famous person own the car or maybe it was used in some "historic" fashoin way-back-whenever???

otherwise....beats me.

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!

Yeah huh!!

Not that it matters to me personally, but I'll bet there's a few guys around that take pride in their "historic vehicle'...just to have the DMV leave it open to just about any car made in the early 80's or before...kinda makes a mockery of it all.

Maybe it was actually used or owned in some loosely or otherwise historic way...? See if you can run some kind of back-ckeck on it.

I'll bet the DMV will give you whatever info you want if you have the VIN#.

check their website.

Cool find none-the-less.

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!

I have them on my 75 in Florida. 30 years old min. Plus they are $10 per year cheeper than regular plates. And they are a cool white on blue color.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

It's 20 years in MD. I will be putting them on my 87 e30 soon.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

20 years in VA - but you have to certify that you have a daily driver - and there are stipulations to it - unless i misinterpreted it you must attend a show or be part of one - no daily drives - no going to work - i think you can drive a radius of 25 miles from your house - unless you are test driving for repairs or selling, or you are driving to an event...

break on price -

inspection is easier

no emmisions...

i have them on my '70 here in ohio...only cost about 39.00 and they're good for 25 years! no e-check, no renewal....but you ARE supposed to limit the driving to car shows, club meets, parades, etc....not supposed to be driven daily. in my city, a cop would have to be pretty hard up to pull me over for just the plates, unless i was doing something stupid. they have plenty of other things to worry about. i have a euro plate on my front bumper too...i'm waiting to see how long before i get pulled over for that.