• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moisture in the trunk!

A couple of days ago I discovered the beginings of there were mold infestation in the trunk of my 02. On the carpet covered MDF board there were white residues on the carpet along with many tiny WHITE bugs/insects like type that grows in the dark (their white because there's darkness). Obvioulsy, I freaked out. The board was removed. I then sprayed bleach mixed with water on the area as well as the board.

There's no sign of water leaking any where, but I noticed that there was some moisture on the bottom of the inside trunk area weeksd before.

Anyone experience regarding this?

Thank you in advance.

74' 02 Resto-Mod

87' 325IS

03' Cooper S

I had a trunk seal that was intact but not glued down. Though it didn't appear to be leaking exhaust (evidenced by trails of brown or black wispy marks on the trunk lid or body) it did seem that water was being pulled in by vacuum or gravity or something. Most cold mornings I could see or feel condensation on the inside of the trunk lid. I had similar issues inside the car-- not to confuse the issue (more later)

I had holes in my spare tire well... so water didn't pool, but I did have an amp fry and most of the crap that I had in my trunk had a mold or mildew look, or smell, or feel. I learned not to keep anything I cared about in the trunk.

FAST FORWARD A COUPLE OF YEARS....

I had my car painted, afterwards I replaced all the seals doors trunk windows everything including cabin vents that run through the trunk. To finish it all off, I carpeted the trunk, trashed my moldy carpeted sub box and fixed the holes in the spare well.

It seems that the trunk seal, due to the split in the seal at the lock area was creating a vacuum while I drove to pull water in (it didn't matter if it was summer or winter.) Any water that was present would be pulled in and deposited.

After the trunk seal was replaced, the issue came back about two years later. The seal was fine-- pliable and continuous. I did discover that the seal was pulling up and didn't stay glued down on the area nearest the forward corners on both sides. peeling this back up, gluing both the seal and the trunk rim, allowing it to tack and then joining the pieces-- the problem never came back-- that is until I cut the car into pieces.

CHECK THE TRUNK SEAL

Don't just think that the seal looks okay or that it stuck pretty well, check it all.

All it takes is a couple of holes in the spare well, and an unstuck seal to pull water in.... think-- if air or light can get in... so can water.

If you trust somebody to let you out, get in the trunk and have them close it and see if you can see light have them spray water at the gaps, (if you study the lock mechanism first you can get out by yourself)

You'll find it. Stay at it.

Make it different... or just do it differently

Bill in Petaluma, CA

1969 1600 supercharged m20 in progress

1970 2002 RIP -- crashed then quartered

1971 2002 M20/02 RIP -- nothing but pieces now

1972 2002 gone, but not missed POS

Guest Anonymous

I could not agree with you more about the trunklid seal. But there are a few less likely possibilities.

I had two 02's that were plagued by moisture. In once case, I would find water droplets on the inside of the windshield molding - day's after I would wash the car or it rained. I worked for hours with the garden hose or squirt bottle and no luck. I rtv'd a perfectly good windshield gasket and no luck. I was looking for a missing washer with the hood open, (in the area where the wiper assembly is). I found two tiny grommeted holes that were the apparent source of the leak. Smeared some RTV and no leaks again. Why there were holes there is beyond me. The only previous owner was my brother, 25 years ago, and I doubt he had the ability to drill the holes let alone a reason to do so.

In another 02, I also had a moisture problem in the trunk. I looked to all the gaskets and no luck. Another car owner who shared the adjacent driveway mentioned a similar problem. The other owner told me he could not understand why his muffler and other parts of his undercarriage had surface rust.

It turns out the moisture was coming from the bottom and not the top of the car. There was a drip irrigation system that would misdirect a small spray toward the underside of the car. It only worked in the middle of the night so no one paid attention to it. In a humid climate, the moisture would apparently evaporate and condense through unseen, and maybe unintended, vent holes in or near the spare wheel well. The moisture would collect and create an 02 petri dish. Turning off the irrigation system cured the problem - hopefully as of two years ago.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

It appears that leaks are coming from several areas. While water is sit on the rear windshield weather seal it somehow sipping through the glass into the trunk. Strangely enough, while the car was in the restoration stage I had replaced the rear seal with OE, so it must not sit tightly. Second, is the trunk seal itself where I can see light coming through between the top of the seal and the lip of the trunk. Oh, wife got nervous when she closes the trunk lid...

I will attempt to replace the trunk seal this weekend. Any good advise is greatly appreciated.

74' 02 Resto-Mod

87' 325IS

03' Cooper S