• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driver's Low Beam Healight Out - Why?

jwcurry

No low beam on driver's side. Have low on passenger and high-beam on both.

I replaced the bulb with a new one, which is a halogen set-up in this 76 I recently bought. Same situation, no change.

Looked at the fuses, nothing blown.

Noticed the switch in the dash was working itself lose so, I screwed it back in tight. No change.

Can't be the bulb. Can't be the switch if one side turns on. Can't be the fuses.

Or am I missing something? I'll recheck the wiring........

Any advice would be great. I was hoping to take the 02 on a long ride to Washington State tomorrow. Hate to get pulled over.

Jerry

Jerry Curry

Salem, OR

-------------

The symptoms you describe suggest a problem in the +12V circuit on the left, (since the headlights have a common ground), perhaps due to excessive resistance in one of the connections between the headlight and the switch. Have you checked for +12V at the connector?

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Hi Jerry,

I would take a look at your fuses. I know that may sound crazy but give it a try.

Ken

Double check fuse #9. Spin it in it's holder, clean contacts. It controls left low beam headlight. The problem should be somehow related to that fuse. 1976 fuse diagram.

fuses.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Thanks for some reason, I thought it was fuses 4 & 5 and I cleaned those contacts. I wasn't near an owner's manual. However, I'll clean up the contacts for fuse #9 in the AM.

Thanks for the tips.....

Jerry

Jerry Curry

Salem, OR

-------------

Guest Anonymous

I currently have exactlly the same problem. No low beam on driver's side and I have diagnosed it, but not fixed it yet (don't drive the car at night much). Check the plastic connector that plugs into the bulb. The middle wire on mine has become disconnected. When I hold it in place, the low beam works. I haven't figured out how to re-attach the wire connector to the fixture yet. It's not a simple plug in and may require soldering or replacing the entire bulb plug and wiring. So that's what causes my exact similar problem. All in the life of a 36 year old car. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

Guest Anonymous

And just for the heck of it check the relay. In the engine compartment, there are three relays on the driver's side fender wall. One of them is the 'high / low beam' switching relay. Since you have PS low beam maybe one of the wires is disconnected at the bottom of the relay.