• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Car Cover?

Lamont

in various weights and types from light weight "dust covers" intended for indoor storage of trailer queens in more-or-less private collection garages, to thick, water resistant and water proof covers for outside storage. Quite a few come in several colors as well.

I've used CCC covers on the last half dozen cars we've bought covers for, and have been very satisfied with all of them.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

I have a good one from Bavarian Autosport www.bavauto.com. It's the "Bavarian Autosport Ultimate Car Cover", item # BM2304. It's a little on the pricey side ($174!), but over this last winter it's proven itself as an excellent "cloth garage". They cut it to fit your particular model, although mine does not have the side mirror pockets. It's made of some miracle material, and my car doesn't get so much as frost on the windows (this is in sub-zero New England winters!), although if it's even a little bit damp, it can ice on the inside and stick a little. I'm also parked under a black walnut, and these produce a sticky black resin that's impossible to get off cars, so this was a necessity for me.

I haven't had to use a cover before I got the '02, but this was one of my first purchases...protect it from the elements!

Cheers,

Sean

'76 Jadegrun '02 (daily driver)

Sean

'76 Jadegrun '02

Daily driver and ONLY vehicle! It must be love...

Guest Anonymous

I have the same BavAuto cover as smassomi in a prior response, and have used it outdoors for four brutal winters in upstate NY to cover my E34. I provides excellent protection and I particularly like the hold-down straps that run under the car and secure it, even in the strongest wind. I'm sure there other good brands out there, but this one works very well for me. Regards,

Roger

'72 Malaga

Guest Anonymous
I've used CCC covers on the last half dozen cars we've bought covers for, and have been very satisfied with all of them.

Okay Barry, favorite cover versus a simple drop cloth versus an old comforter for cars parked outside. In the south, where it rains quite a bit, the CCC gets wet and stays wet. Leaves and crap bleed through to the Chamonix, so that I have placed plastic sheeting between the CCC. Then that seems to promote rust by trapping moisture under the car.

Do you wash your car covers? How often? I worry about the cover actually scratching the surface, if I do not wash the cover. Do you put the "wet" cover on your car to dry as I have seen others do?

Thanks

Thank you for such quick replies!

Ill purchase the "Bavarian Autosport Ultimate Car Cover" at your suggestion smassoni. Thanks to you others for suggestions.

I have a good one from Bavarian Autosport www.bavauto.com. It's the "Bavarian Autosport Ultimate Car Cover", item # BM2304. It's a little on the pricey side ($174!), but over this last winter it's proven itself as an excellent "cloth garage". They cut it to fit your particular model, although mine does not have the side mirror pockets. It's made of some miracle material, and my car doesn't get so much as frost on the windows (this is in sub-zero New England winters!), although if it's even a little bit damp, it can ice on the inside and stick a little. I'm also parked under a black walnut, and these produce a sticky black resin that's impossible to get off cars, so this was a necessity for me.

I haven't had to use a cover before I got the '02, but this was one of my first purchases...protect it from the elements!

Cheers,

Sean

'76 Jadegrun '02 (daily driver)

On the frugal side, I purchased a car cover from seller: "BrightPicks"

on EBay for 19.95 plus s/h. It was slow to arrive but is a quilted water-resistant 'paper-fabric,' that fits the car. It sheds water, however the recent deluge soaked it through. Had to dry off the car. Soft on inside and not scratchy. I recommend this one for 'street-parking,' where the neighborhood joy riders can liberate cars at night.....and it doesn't kill your pocketbook! I'd have to put an antitheft device on that premium BavAuto cover.

And I think stenciling your licence plate number in large spray paint letters all over the car cover makes it useless to thieves. Or maybe less desireable.

Good Luck.

I have one from Griot's Garage. I told them about the flares on my car and they added to the 02 shape accordingly. It's not perfect but it's not too bad considering the change of shape of my o2.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Okay Barry, favorite cover versus a simple drop cloth versus an old comforter for cars parked outside. In the south, where it rains quite a bit, the CCC gets wet and stays wet. Leaves and crap bleed through to the Chamonix, so that I have placed plastic sheeting between the CCC. Then that seems to promote rust by trapping moisture under the car.

Do you wash your car covers? How often? I worry about the cover actually scratching the surface, if I do not wash the cover. Do you put the "wet" cover on your car to dry as I have seen others do?

Thanks

seems to be a large capacity front-loader at the local laundromat. Washing covers does shorten their life somewhat, but I'd rather replace a cover every 3-5 years than have to have a car painted

I don't normally leave covers on in wet weather - as long as the paint is in decent condition with a good coat of wax, rain shouldn't do any damage (living in northern CA, we don't really have to deal with weather extremes - snow, freezing or acid rain, etc).

Don't think it's a good idea to leave a wet cover on a car, especially once the sun comes out - trapping moisture against the paint causes all sorts of problems, including tiny paint blisters, clouding in clear coats (and dulling of anodized aluminum), and (as you mentioned) rust. Same goes double for plastic sheeting, plus if there's any wind, minute dust particles trapped between the plastic sheet and paint will be ground into the paint when the plastic moves around. Better way to deal with that issue would be to put the cover on first, then bungee cord a heavy duty silver tarp (or plastic sheeting) over the outside to keep water and debris from getting on the cover in the first place - that way the cover protects the paint, and the outer layer of plastic or the tarp protects the cover.

My preference is for the thicker indoor-outdoor versions like multiweave or stormweave - for my nickel, the main purpose for using a cover is to keep the sun off the paint, dash pad and upholstery, and to help keep dust, bird droppings and other guck off the car - I know folks who use covers as "fabric garages" but it's never seemed too practical to me - in a lot of climates, the cover's going to be wet and dirty most of the time.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)