• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 02 Owner (Pics)

Adamha

Hello all....been lurking this site for quite some time and I guess it's time to say hello and show you my new 02.

1972 Tii Silver (not sure if it is Polaris)

Was told the car's name is "Kai".

Basically stock with exception of the stereo and a carpet kit. Came from Eastern ID, previously Boise ID, previously Portland OR, previously San Francisco CA (the previous owner thought).

Picked it up in Twin Falls and drove it home to Boise.

Runs fantastic...couple of paint issues to deal with, need some new front seat covers and floor mats but other than that she is good to go for now.

The folks I purchased it from said the Portland owners told them Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead used to own it. Dunno if that is true or not but it might be kinda fun to try and verify. If anybody has any thoughts on how to track that down let me know.

Other than that hope to meet some of you all in CA. I am relocating to N. Cal in a couple of months for work.

Happy motoring!

post-9935-1366758757309_thumb.jpg

post-9935-1366758757467_thumb.jpg

post-9935-13667587576156_thumb.jpg

1972 Tii

1997 Land Rover Defender LE #127

The Grateful Dead connection does not surprise me at all since we supplied a ton of parts for the restoration of Gerry Garcia's 3.0CS about 15 years ago.

You can have the VIN researched by one of those "classic car detectives" that have sprung up with the rising auction sales figures. If the connection is valid, it could add value to your car. Jack O's Bavaria sold for some crazy money.

Good luck on with your new purchase. Remember to keep a spare K-Fischer belt in the trunk.

Max

Maximillian Importing

www.bimmer.com

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

The folks I purchased it from said the Portland owners told them Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead used to own it. Dunno if that is true or not but it might be kinda fun to try and verify. If anybody has any thoughts on how to track that down let me know.

FWIW, I do remember reading that most member of the Grateful Dead owned 2002s at one time or another -- and that one member (it was either Bob Weir or Phil Lesh) was quite an enthusiast, having owned several examples.

Regardless, great car! A Polaris tii certainly makes my short list.

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...