• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii cold start question

Andy74tii

On my tii, I had some problems a while back with flooding. I temporarily resolved this by running hotter plugs, but now I suspect there may be something amiss with the cold start system. Specifically, my mileage is way low (10-15 mpg vs. normal of 20-25). I think it may be that my cold start system is running all the time, even after warm up. To check this, I am going to unplug the terminal going into the throttle body for a while, and check my mileage then. Assuming this is the culprit, is the main cause the Thermotime switch at the front of the engine, the relay box on the firewall, or the actual warm up injector on the back of the KF? Or some combination thereof? I would be interested to hear from those who have encountered this mileage situation ... many thanks!

FAQ Member #126

The piston in the warm up regulator can stick.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/66/32/

Read at tiiregister.com also and download the manual, it will outline the regulator adjustment too.

U might want to check compression, etc, too.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Cold start may be leaking(valve) but the car would not run if the valve were on all the time.....Advice above is excellent.... Make sure your oil is not diluted by fuel as engine wear goes up tremendously... If your oil smells like gas its diluted......

Guest Anonymous

I am running a 318 injection system and have not played with a tii for a while. With that said, instead of unplugging the cold start, I would plug the fuel line that feeds it. Otherwise, it can still leak if not energized. Another method is to remove the cold start injector and watch its operation. After things have warmed up, it should stop spraying and NOT drip. I know there is a well developed set of instructions for testing the thermotime switch. The manual, Haynes, CD(Sorry he sold it) may have it handy.

I agree with the warmup regulator piston sticking. I took my pump apart for this and flushed it with ATF.

With all due respect, attempting to fix a flooding situation with hotter plugs makes no sense to me. It may fix a rich running condition, but that is NOT the same thing as flooding. I would suspect the start valve, but are you sure the throttle valve is correctly sync'd with the injection pump or maybe the pump itself is out of adjustment. Lastly, if this were electronic fuel inj., I might wonder if the fuel pressure is too high, but that is another post. . . .

Good luck.