• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

still on brake issue - another dumb question

lsixt

1974 2002 non Tii

VOLVO disks on front - stock rear

stock rear drums

stock (NEW) MC

no fluid leaks - level has been stable for ever

bled brakes using buddy system and pressure bleeder many times

clutch works just fine

clutch and brake pedals are at the same heigth

brake pedal travels 2" before brake lights come on and another inch or more before any brake pressure is felt

at that point there is only about one inch more to the floor and I can't get any brake pressure to stom me from a 5mph roll within 20 yards

Someone told me there is a brake linkage adjustment that can be done to take out that first 2" of needless travel, but not how..

anybody heard of such an adjustment and how it's done?

Thanks,Len

You will need to pull up the carpet at the pedal box, and fenagle your way around the brake booster bracket. The linkage rod from the pedal to the booster has a clevis and 17mm jam-nut at either end. Loosen these jam nuts (one is reverse thread) and turn the rod to adjust its length. There should be notches cut into the linkage rod about 2in from the bottom, and i think they fit a 10mm wrench. Hope that helps.

You will need to pull up the carpet at the pedal box, and fenagle your way around the brake booster bracket. The linkage rod from the pedal to the booster has a clevis and 17mm jam-nut at either end. Loosen these jam nuts (one is reverse thread) and turn the rod to adjust its length. There should be notches cut into the linkage rod about 2in from the bottom, and i think they fit a 10mm wrench. Hope that helps.

I understand, but can you adjust both the pedal height AND the amount of depth that the upper rod is pushing into the MC? I'm not sure I'm making myself clear, but can you adjust the amount of upward thrust on the MC and keep the pedal height the same? I was under the impression that the adjustment in the pedal box was ONLY to adjust the brake pedal height inside the car.