• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixed Back Seats? Anyone running them please comment

winstontj

Been looking on Sparco.com and Recaro.com and realizing that for less than the price of a decent re-upholster I can get a simple, and much lighter fixed back setup for $300/seat (plus rails, etc.) This isn't a DD and I am intereested in open track days and AutoX so I'm thinking a fixed back may be perfect. Anyone have any experience with these?

I'm willing to give up the back seat but want to be able to go for a 3-5 hour highway drive without regretting the seats after 15 minutes.

TIA,

Tom

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

When I drove a race car, it had a fixed back seat and it was very comfortable. I would not have hesitated to drive that car for many hours.

I think the suspension (being really stiff) would be worse than the seat. Find a seat that fits you and bolt it in. If you car is both a street car/track car it probably will not have super stiff suspension. If you can live without a back seat, you are set.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

FWIW, most fixed backs have optional tilt tracks... you can tilt the entire seat towards the dash, and still use your back seat.

If you're serious about the safety compromise of an adjustable seat back, you will want to avoid adjustable tracks or whole-seat tilt mechanisms. I understand that you aren't building for NASCAR rules but there is a reason race cars tend to have bolted down seats using high grade hardware. Note too that OEM seatbacks are usually designed to fail as a way of dissipating energy during an impact. This is another reason why it is a compromise to use stock tracks with a race seat.

I'm not trying scare anyone off but safety is the result of a system of components working together as designed. I have built track cars and have had long discussions with experienced designers about the compromises.

...ned.

'74 tii (no track!)

'03 Cooper S (some track)

'94 Mustang GT (all track)

'98 M3 (sold, now racing in CT)

'74 tii rolling resto

I just heard a rumor from a guy down in VA that if you track a car the driver & passenger seat (if installed) need to match? Does that apply? I was thinking about running a driver's side fixed back and recaro passenger for a little while - then going to dual fixed if it really is just me driving the car. I'd hate to take a long road trip and subject a passenger to a fixed back with no rear seats.

Driver's seat will be bolted in with no tilt.

Thx everyone.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

I just heard a rumor from a guy down in VA that if you track a car the driver & passenger seat (if installed) need to match? Does that apply? I was thinking about running a driver's side fixed back and recaro passenger for a little while - then going to dual fixed if it really is just me driving the car. I'd hate to take a long road trip and subject a passenger to a fixed back with no rear seats.

Driver's seat will be bolted in with no tilt.

Thx everyone.

I haven't heard that but I know that many clubs hosting DE events will require equal restraints on both sides so that the passenger - who is usually the instructor - has the same seatbelt set-up as the driver. As an in-car instructor (recently retired) I would insist on that. Who wants to climb in with a student who is using a FIA approved six-point harness and you are stuck with a 34 year old stock belt? As far as seats go, as long as the seat is safe and sturdy, I think it is okay. I won't ride on a seat with a twisted/cracked frame or broken latch. On the street or at the track.

...ned. <--- only teaches classroom now

'74 tii rolling resto