• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big brakes: E12 528i and 3.0CSi calipers compared.

Schweineback

Today I was doing a mock up on my big brake conversion. It are Tii struts with E21 (323i) hubs and 323i discs. I happen to have two sets of brake calipers, one pair from my old 3.0CSi which I'm upgrading to BIG Brembo's, the other pair of a E12 528i.

I thought they were the same but some differences showed up. Where the E9 caliper sticks out only about 2 mm, the E12 sticks out about 10 mm. I hope it shows on the pics.

Of course this is not great revealing news like who killed Kennedy, but it may be useful if you have problems fitting your wheels and the caliper sticks out. So if you can get them, go for E9 CSi or CSL calipers (CS's won't do!).

post-7448-13667586545868_thumb.jpg

post-7448-13667586546854_thumb.jpg

post-7448-13667586547658_thumb.jpg

Dreamed I was an Eskimo.

Nice to know, but 3.0 CS front calipers are exactly the same as 3.0CSi or 3.0CSL calipers. Here are the part numbers: 3.0CS, 3.0CSL

The 2800CS calipers are different, as they are for non-vented rotors, but the vented rotor e9 calipers are all the same.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

Guest Anonymous

I am not certain that the e28 and e9 calipers are the same, but I do know they are interchangeable. But, I cannot say this is true for all years AND to be clear, I am referring to the wider - vented rotor.

If it helps you, I have interchanged calipers from my 630 (e24?) and from 530i (82) with my 74csi. However, the original e9 rotor and disk are one assembly (bolted together) while the other models had fixed hubs with rotors that fit on the hub. Also, to be clear, the later models did not have lug studs. Instead, they used lug bolts.

Hope that adds something.

E9 and tii calipers are different animals, so ixnay on the rebuild kit. New fronts are 450 plus bucks, though Walloth und Nesch have a safety special on all brake equipment at the moment. I think they were €249 or so. For used ones, try cruising the e9coupe.com board or calling Carl Nelson.

MichaelP

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

I was thinking about this last night and the Walloth Nesch deal is pretty good, as it's €249 for a pair of calipers (+€150 core charge). The usual price (Max's website) is $450 each. Maybe going in with some folks on the e9coupe.com would make the shipping worth it.

MichaelP

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

Well I have the 320 hub and 320 1977 vented rotors and I was just working on some solution when i realized that I could not protrude beyond the hub surface with my existing wheel/tire combo. Think the csi calipers would work?

I don't exactly understand what you are saying here or into what problem you have run, but what I found out is that the E9 calipers are a better bet than the E12's. If your rims then still don't fit I guess you have to: a. machine your rims, or b. buy a different set.

Dreamed I was an Eskimo.

I am not certain that the e28 and e9 calipers are the same, but I do know they are interchangeable. But, I cannot say this is true for all years AND to be clear, I am referring to the wider - vented rotor.

If it helps you, I have interchanged calipers from my 630 (e24?) and from 530i (82) with my 74csi. However, the original e9 rotor and disk are one assembly (bolted together) while the other models had fixed hubs with rotors that fit on the hub. Also, to be clear, the later models did not have lug studs. Instead, they used lug bolts.

Hope that adds something.

For clarification, E28 calipers are completely different from E9 calipers. E28 calipers are single piston where E9s are 4-piston.

E12 Calipers are basically the same, though the castings are different. I have E12 calipers on one of my E9s with no problems.

E24s depend on what year. 76-82 are like E12s, 83-89 are like E28s.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

Well this is all good info. I need to get out into the garage and take a good look. Basically the spokes on my current rims are totally flush with the mounting surface. I could use a 3mm spacer but after that I'd be into the finder with the tire. I will likely go to a different rim just to deal with getting a vented rotor on. However the e9 caliper may be a good option until I get a different wheel setup if it will fit with the vented e21 rotors I just bought- which it seems it will. Now its just a matter of finding a set at a decent price.

Guest Anonymous

Meine dear uncle bill:

The clarity of my post leaves much to be desired. I thought e24, yet I typed e28. I used early e24 brake parts (81) on my e9. 4 pots. Never had a problem.

Thanks for the save!

I'm looking for a set.

There's one here, he ships worldwide: http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-3-0-CS-CSI-Bremssaettel-E9-VA-auch-2002-02-TURBO_W0QQitemZ200196744930QQihZ010QQcategoryZ75995QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Zum Verkauf stehen gebrauchte, zum überholen geeignete

Bremssättel für BMW 3.0 CS und CSI E9 passend auch beim 02er TURBO

Die Sättel gehören überholt!

(For sale are used and in need of refurbishment brake calipers for BMW 3.0 CS and CSI E9 also fit the 02 turbo.

The calipers must be refurbished!)

Dreamed I was an Eskimo.