• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fried Wiper Relay?!

Supergeek

I was driving my 02 on Sunday afternoon when it started to rain. I flipped the wiper switch and nothing. I had to drive home in the pouring rain, very freaky! I checked the wiper switch today and can hear a clicking sound in the wiper relay everytime I turn on the wiper and choose a speed. But they still do not work. The fuse looks good so I think the relay is fried. Is there any way to check if the relay is still good? Is there anything else I should look at? Many thanks!!

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

and see if the problem is solved. Check your current relay--if there's a melted spot on the housing, there's an internal problem--that's what happened to mine, and I had to drive 300 miles home in the rain with no wipers. Now I carry a spare, and have never had one fail since!

If your current relay is the problem, you can carefully remove the cover of the suspect relay and check the circuit board for fried components. If you have any soldering skills, you can probably replace a burned resistor or other component on the circuit board and it'll be good as new.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

Don't they serve fried relay at KFC?

I have encountered a similar situation once. It turned out to be the wiper stalk on the column. The contacts were buggered up. Contact cleaner and WD40 seemed to make everything work again.