• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWINS!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I had Roger Kraus Racing mount up my two front 3-Piece ALPINA wheels last week, in order to get the car down on the ground so that I can both finish working on the front fenders AND get it up to Hamlin Fabrication this month. The front suspension is back in so these will go on today and it (at least the front will be back down on the ground after nearly 6 years!). In the one pic you can see how far past an OE fender these go even with the suspension moved inward, The tires are 11x23.5x15 Avon Racing Bias Ply tires.

296826304.jpg

296826306.jpg

296826301.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I had Roger Kraus Racing mount up my two front 3-Piece ALPINA wheels last week, in order to get the car down on the ground so that I can both finish working on the front fenders AND get it up to Hamlin Fabrication this month. The front suspension is back in so these will go on today and it (at least the front will be back down on the ground after nearly 6 years!). In the one pic you can see how far past an OE fender these go even with the suspension moved inward, The tires are 11x23.5x15 Avon Racing Bias Ply tires.

296826304.jpg

296826306.jpg

296826301.jpg

Does that mean if I'm at Bill Watson's shop I can pop in at Hamlin's and look?

Delia

Edit: Bill Watson's Road Rockets shop looks after this monster (Henry Schmitt's BMW of San Francisco CSL. Yes, it's a real CSL. Shown here at the Monterey Festorics, 2007):

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Does that mean if I'm at Bill Watson's shop I can pop in at Hamlin's and look?

Delia

Edit: Bill Watson's Road Rockets shop looks after this monster (Henry Schmitt's BMW of San Francisco CSL. Yes, it's a real CSL. Shown here at the Monterey Festorics, 2007):

post-169-13667585717363_thumb.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Guest Anonymous

I have known him for a number of years and he has done quite a few "smaller" projects for me. We have been discussing my car literally for years so now it is just about time. He is a one man shop and is ALWAYS busy with really cool projects. I stopped by on Friday before the wine country classic last June, I think he had two Porsche 962's in there he was working on - really cool stuff.

Guest Anonymous

I have known him for a number of years and he has done quite a few "smaller" projects for me. We have been discussing my car literally for years so now it is just about time. He is a one man shop and is ALWAYS busy with really cool projects. I stopped by on Friday before the wine country classic last June, I think he had two Porsche 962's in there he was working on - really cool stuff.

Hi Mark

Being real race wheels with flat barrels, it must cost you a fortune each time you have tires mounted and unmounted. I suspect at least one hour per wheel plus the cost of a new rubber gasket. You don't use silicone sealant, right?

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Hi Mark

Being real race wheels with flat barrels, it must cost you a fortune each time you have tires mounted and unmounted. I suspect at least one hour per wheel plus the cost of a new rubber gasket. You don't use silicone sealant, right?

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Guest Anonymous

Lee, you are correct - with the flat barrel rim the wheel has to be assembled around the tire. The good news for me is that ALPINA used all BBS racing components (O-Rings, Rim Shells, Valve Stems and Hardware) which is still available. I cant say for sure if they use silicone or not (my guess is that they do use some albeit sparingly) and it is not dependent on sealing the rim, rather maybe some added insurance.

It is very labor intensive to mount up and balance one of these wheels and tires for sure. That being said, after I had a minute looking over my invoice I rapidly penned out a check (for those who have seen the "Ikea" commercial with the gal that looks at her Ikea reciept and high tails it out of the store yelling "start the car, start the car" and then a big woohoo in the car)....that was me...$75 for the both of them... of course the tires are about $325 each so .... anyway you have to pay to play.

Guest Anonymous

Lee, you are correct - with the flat barrel rim the wheel has to be assembled around the tire. The good news for me is that ALPINA used all BBS racing components (O-Rings, Rim Shells, Valve Stems and Hardware) which is still available. I cant say for sure if they use silicone or not (my guess is that they do use some albeit sparingly) and it is not dependent on sealing the rim, rather maybe some added insurance.

It is very labor intensive to mount up and balance one of these wheels and tires for sure. That being said, after I had a minute looking over my invoice I rapidly penned out a check (for those who have seen the "Ikea" commercial with the gal that looks at her Ikea reciept and high tails it out of the store yelling "start the car, start the car" and then a big woohoo in the car)....that was me...$75 for the both of them... of course the tires are about $325 each so .... anyway you have to pay to play.