• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii cold start valve manual operation question

adamm

My timer box seems to be permanently on ie the CSV continues to inject fuel after the car has started - no good.

Is it fairly simple to wire a switch to manually operate the cold start valve from inside the car?

I read ColinK's How-to in the FAQ construction zone where he says to bypass the red/white wire from the timer box - I don't quite follow this as I'm not too hot at electrics so would appreciate any help with how exactly to do it. Does he mean the red/white needs to be disconnected and the switch wired in it's place thus controlling the timer box and in turn the CSV? TIA.

'73 tii arancio borealis - finished?!

'74 lux fjord - gone :(

'73 3.0csi polaris

My timer box seems to be permanently on ie the CSV continues to inject fuel after the car has started - no good.

Is it fairly simple to wire a switch to manually operate the cold start valve from inside the car?

I read ColinK's How-to in the FAQ construction zone where he says to bypass the red/white wire from the timer box - I don't quite follow this as I'm not too hot at electrics so would appreciate any help with how exactly to do it. Does he mean the red/white needs to be disconnected and the switch wired in it's place thus controlling the timer box and in turn the CSV? TIA.

'73 3.0csi polaris

yes it is fairly simple to wire a switch to it. I can't remember which wires but get a single strand of wire to ground and you will easily find the loop with the other end of your single strand. Then connect these two wires to a switch.

As for fixing or replacing your relay, check with Curt Ingraham.

yes it is fairly simple to wire a switch to it. I can't remember which wires but get a single strand of wire to ground and you will easily find the loop with the other end of your single strand. Then connect these two wires to a switch.

As for fixing or replacing your relay, check with Curt Ingraham.

There are some variations of the time switch out there. I believe 3 or 4 models. Step 1 is to verify which one is right for your year tii. The next step is to look at the test procedure that Mr McCartney has in the Restoration Guide book. Helps make sense of it all.

Curt Ingraham can rebuild yours or you can bypass it with a simple switch. Each option has it's benefits.

A working Thermo/time switch does help the tii start much easier, especially in colder weather.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

There are some variations of the time switch out there. I believe 3 or 4 models. Step 1 is to verify which one is right for your year tii. The next step is to look at the test procedure that Mr McCartney has in the Restoration Guide book. Helps make sense of it all.

Curt Ingraham can rebuild yours or you can bypass it with a simple switch. Each option has it's benefits.

A working Thermo/time switch does help the tii start much easier, especially in colder weather.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Does the CSV always remain on? Remember that depending on the coolant temp, the CSV will continue to inject fuel even after the car has started, up to 10 seconds depending on the coolant temp.

Another thing to consider: if your CSV is still mounted on the throttle body it could be that the venturi effect of the throttle body could be sucking gas out of the CSV. You'll need a new CSV.

If the timer box is not working, i'd go with getting if fixed/replaced.

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

Does the CSV always remain on? Remember that depending on the coolant temp, the CSV will continue to inject fuel even after the car has started, up to 10 seconds depending on the coolant temp.

Another thing to consider: if your CSV is still mounted on the throttle body it could be that the venturi effect of the throttle body could be sucking gas out of the CSV. You'll need a new CSV.

If the timer box is not working, i'd go with getting if fixed/replaced.

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

Thanks all, most useful. It seems like it's the box playing me up as I've tried a known working csv off my csi and the same thing happens.

I'm going to have a further play with it this weekend, I would like to have the system working rather than making up switches and playing around with it. Curt, I might take you up on your offer - have you ever had a box come from the UK?!

Thanks again all. adam

'73 3.0csi polaris

Thanks all, most useful. It seems like it's the box playing me up as I've tried a known working csv off my csi and the same thing happens.

I'm going to have a further play with it this weekend, I would like to have the system working rather than making up switches and playing around with it. Curt, I might take you up on your offer - have you ever had a box come from the UK?!

Thanks again all. adam

'73 3.0csi polaris