• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Manifold attachment question

Kidasters

Last night before going to bed, I was browsing one of my favorite books - Mike Macartney's "BMW '02 Restoration Guide", and I stumbled across this:

"Use copper-coated nuts on exhaust manifold fittings. Nuts should be M8, but with the heads a 12 mm spanner size instead of the normal 13mm. The nuts that BMW now supply as replacements are not correct for the 02 exhaust manifold. If you use these nuts, you may think you have tightened the edge of the nut onto the exhaust manifold, but what you have actually done is tightened the edge of the nut onto the head." (p. 116 of the aforementioned book).

Now - if I read that, it doesn't make much sense to me - unless I think about it the other way around - if you use the bigger nuts, you'll wedge them up against the manifold instead of sucking the manifold flush to the head. Or is it?

So - If I ever get my new IE header in place, what should I use? I didn't want to use the nuts I pulled off, mostly because they look like hell and it would be great to replace them. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Guest Anonymous

somehow I doubt it matters for the reason you give - I bet there's room on the manifold for a 13 mm nut to fit - but there might not be as much room for the socket or wrench to fit, and it can be a bear to get them off. I'd use the 12mm copper with some anti-seize, if I were doing it.

Proper exhaust manifold nuts have a built in anti-loosening feature. The skirt of the nut has metal parts that actually grab the stud and prevent backing out like a lockwasher They are typically 12mm and you actually need the room to get the standard box wrench around the backside of it....not enough room for a 'gear-wrench' and with all the ratcheting you need to do in that very cramped location it would be the perfect tool if it fit!

For the header on the race car,

(a custom floater Stahl)

I have had better luck with the 11mm nuts (also sold on Ebay)

for VW's. I only use them on a couple of

harder- to- access studs, but they work well.

What McCartney means is that the 13mm BMW nuts

tend to bind on the flanges of the manifold, and don't

bear squarely on the pad. Then they bend the stud, and

tend to either loosen, leak, or cause the stud to loosen.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

For the header on the race car,

(a custom floater Stahl)

I have had better luck with the 11mm nuts (also sold on Ebay)

for VW's. I only use them on a couple of

harder- to- access studs, but they work well.

What McCartney means is that the 13mm BMW nuts

tend to bind on the flanges of the manifold, and don't

bear squarely on the pad. Then they bend the stud, and

tend to either loosen, leak, or cause the stud to loosen.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL