• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M20 powered 2002 in the SCC USCC

Dirt

Anyone manage to figure out all those acronyms? Me neither and I wrote them. ;)

A publication that I enjoy, but may be new to the forum readers is called Sport Compact Car. They have a competition called the Ultimate Street Car Challenge. There is a long selection process that involves reader input as well as editorial recommendatons. In the end, 10 cars are selected to compete in the USCC.

They're judged on car show appeal, drivability, gas mileage, engineering, horsepower at the wheels, 1/4 mile speed, road course laps, braking, skid pad and gross display of horsepower (a rather objective measure).

It makes for interesting reading and is enough of a big deal that the USCC is covered in at least 2 issues... one to introduce the candidates, the other to show the results.

There's usually a Skyline GTR, MkIV Supra Turbo and something exotic. There's always at least one front wheel drive car and at least one AWD car. Lately they've always had at least one european car as well as either an American car or something japanese with a pushrod V8 transplanted into it.

I think this year has all of the above-listed cars in it. One reason that I'm telling you about this is that I noticed there is a BMW 2002 in the bunch. It has an M20 transplant and a lot of other cool stuff done to it. I haven't seen any threads on this topic, so I figured I'd enter one.

If you get a chance to pick up the magazine, it might be an interesting read. next month's will be better though..... it is the one with the results in it.

Later!

Pete

i posted about this a week or two ago but just got done talking to Ed from Groma and Jeff Ireland about how the car did. I wont say exactly what position they got, but it wasn't the best. Apparently there was some 'faulty' measuring techniques which isn't new to the USCC. Almost the whole staff of SC is new and I think the magazine has fallen badly in the past few years. I allow myself one subscription a year, and I just cancelled SC. Any suggestions? Grassroots? Racetech?

GROMAM20-02.jpg

..and I also do not own a BMW 2002.

Sorry I missed your post.

I agree with your appraisal of the magazine. I cancelled my subscription when Dave Coleman basically walked away. I did buy this issue and I'll buy the next one because I love the concept of the USCC.

As for recommendations, Grassroots Motorsports and Classic Motorsports (same publisher) are well worth the money. Pick up an issue or 2 on the news stand and I think you'll be hooked.

I'll go find your post and see what there is to read. Sorry for not catching it before I posted this.

Later!

Pete

Guest Anonymous

nothing against 02's... but an 02 would never win a USCC... they require things like well done AC... nice soft street suspension that corners well... good gas mileage and well rounded car.. A bmw 2002 would need too many updates to be competitive. A stock 02 interior looks "incomplete" by todays standards. It will be ripped apart for antiquated suspension in the tech session. Trailing arms with spring/shock seperate.

it's not to say it's a bad car but unfortunately people bring autox and race cars to USCC hoping to do well and they end up dead last in 4 of the 10 categories. The video of the car on the acceleration test shows it smoking heavily from leaky valve stem seals.. Why try and emission that car..

they're really looking for a car with 500HP reliably that doesn't have it stuffed into one part of the curve. An 11 sec flat quarter mile. Very good damping and springs, and descent "track" time and by track it's really just a short track with 120mph tops. most people can't get that and looking good...

My favorite part was where they said our cars originally come with an M05 engine.

..and that is why SC fails (in yoda voice).

I think the '02 should have at least gotten 1st place in the emissions test at least and I'll tell you why.. IT'S EXEMPT. hehe

This makes me wonder.. how would Paul Cain's beast have done? There seems to be a spot for a 'vintage' sport compact ever year at the uscc.. and yet they always go for the (nothing against IE or Groma) 'ratty' track car. I dont know how many of you keep up with Hot Version videos, but I'd love to see how Groma's car does on the touge.

..and I also do not own a BMW 2002.