• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjustable proportioning valve - How did you do?

Lee

I am contemplating several ways to install an adjustable prop valve. Interested in looking at what you have done. I initially thought I could install it under the hood, near the MC (easiest solution) but am now contemplating installing it within the cockpit. I may replumb the whole line from the MC to the rear splitter, within the cockpit.

knobvalve-LRG.jpg

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Hi Michael

I checked several different cars, and it seems that everyone puts the brake line on top of the tranny tunnel, from the bulkhead to the rear axle. I will try to find 10mm bulkhead fittings tomorrow.

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Mine was like Michael's, but on the passenger side of the tunnel.

It's nice to be able to dial out some rear for a hot, greasy track or in

for rain... if you're careful.

I've spun myself a few times this season..

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Excellent timing Lee, I need to do this soon as well.

Powelli, did you just cut the line, and invert flare each end with 3/16" fittings? As opposed to trying to bubble flare it with metric fittings, which Ive read is much harder. If so where did you get your fittings from?

1990 325i

1976 2002

Here are a couple of shots of my interior, also showing how I installed my prop valve on Friday. You may notice that all four drain plugs are removed. I just hosed down and soaped the interior to remove grit and drilling pieces. It is very practical and helps keep the car clean.

Cockpit_1.jpg

Cockpit_2.jpg

Cockpit_3.jpg

Cockpit_4.jpg

Cockpit_5.jpg

Cockpit_6.jpg

Cockpit_7.jpg

Cockpit_8.jpg

Cockpit_9.jpg

Cockpit_10.jpg

Cockpit_11.jpg

Cockpit_12.jpg

Cockpit_13.jpg

Cockpit_14.jpg

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

What fittings did you use? Looks like 2 or 3 on each side.

The Wilwood valve has 1/8NPT inlet/outlet. So, I used what I had on my shelves to convert from 10mm. 1/8NPT-to-AN4, then AN4-to-10mm.

Tilton makes prop valves that have metric 10mm inlet/outlet.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

When running the two new lines, MC to valve and valve to T in the rear, did you use BMW lines or from somewhere else?

Initially, I wanted to use the original line. I wanted to cut the rearward line under the prop valve, make two small holes in the tunnel and pass the two lines into the cockpit. But I tried to flare the original line with a flaring tools and found that the original BMW brakelines are exteremly difficult to flare as their steel is quite tough. so, I bought a 30" line (rear) and 51" (rear, but should have gone for 60") at my local NAPA shop for $8 total. They already had all the fittings and were very easy to bend.

I am currently building an e46 racecar with friends and will still get aftermarket brakelines as they are very easy to work with.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

or do you have a source for plate that is already drilled?

Thanks!

John N

Drilled by hand, hole after hole. That's the labour of love.

Anyway, over the winter, I will probably make some dead pedals like the one on the passenger side, and a prop valve mount. all with drilled aluminum plates.

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Anyway, over the winter, I will probably make some dead pedals like the one on the passenger side, and a prop valve mount. all with drilled aluminum plates.

Lee

Do the accelerator pedal as well, that thing is beautiful. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Thanks for explaining how you plumbed the valve.

1990 325i

1976 2002

Lee

Do the accelerator pedal as well, that thing is beautiful. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Thanks for explaining how you plumbed the valve.

The pedal is on a hinge that uses the two stel nipples from the floorpan, which means that unlike stock plastic pedals, they cannot pop out. Which can be regretable during a race. It also uses a bearing on the lever rod behind the pedal.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.