• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detailed S14 swap questions

madjurgen

I bought my engine from Pete McHenry, and he included the throttle cable, It consisted of a bracket that mounted at the pedal box with a cable stop, so the accelerator pedal would pull the cable.

The VAC pan does hit my Ireland Engineering swayba. However, Ireland now make a "drop bar" that is 1" lower in the crossbar area that runs under the oilpan. I just got mine, and it clears the pan fine.

I'm not quite sure where the M3 mount will attach to the 2002 subframe, but I'll weld a fitting to the subframe to accept the mount. I think Ireland makes a urethane bushing for the M3 mount as well.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm have a few concerns of the oil pan on my s14 conversion. I've currently opted for the M10 pan modified to accept the s14 Evo sport oil pump which is shorter on the pick arm then the M10 oil pan. Anyway, my engine is highly modified to Evo Sport spec and i'm not happy with using the M10 sump pan. I've looked at the VACs oil pan (now priced at $999.99) and would like to know how it fits and looks on the car if you can post a picture of it fitted on the car. I have also order the IE sway bars 22mm for the front and rear.

Appreciate your response

Regards

Divyesh

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone. It's nice to have that thread. After last week's event at Calabogie where I swapped the 48 DCO/SPs for 45s (too much fuel, and race-type fuel delivery), I realized my engine was also pumping oil at high RPM (6500-8000 RPM) which convinced me that my days with Webers are over, and as I have to rebuild the M10 motor (after 3 seasons), that was the ultimate incentive to swap an S14 instead. Car has currently a very good suspension set-up, superb braking, great ergonomy and is only begging for the ultimate powerplant, especially that I drive the car to all events. Nobody can touch me when I drive my e30 M3, thanks (partially) to that great motor. With the tired motor in the 2002, I have to work very hard to keep up with the e36 M3s (which I usually leave behind in the M3). Being competitive as I am, I have to have an S14 under the hood... I will probably mate it with my current e21 5 speed close-ratio and 3.64 rear end. My only concern is the extra weight up front.

BTW be aware that Anthony K seems to have a very good S14 for sale. Those motors are plenty on s14.net but just make sure you buy the right one. If money is not too tight, get a fresh rebuilt one (around $7 to 8k + core, no install)

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Hi everyone. It's nice to have that thread. After last week's event at Calabogie where I swapped the 48 DCO/SPs for 45s (too much fuel, and race-type fuel delivery), I realized my engine was also pumping oil at high RPM (6500-8000 RPM) which convinced me that my days with Webers are over, and as I have to rebuild the M10 motor (after 3 seasons), that was the ultimate incentive to swap an S14 instead. Car has currently a very good suspension set-up, superb braking, great ergonomy and is only begging for the ultimate powerplant, especially that I drive the car to all events. Nobody can touch me when I drive my e30 M3, thanks (partially) to that great motor. With the tired motor in the 2002, I have to work very hard to keep up with the e36 M3s (which I usually leave behind in the M3). Being competitive as I am, I have to have an S14 under the hood... I will probably mate it with my current e21 5 speed close-ratio and 3.64 rear end. My only concern is the extra weight up front.

BTW be aware that Anthony K seems to have a very good S14 for sale. Those motors are plenty on s14.net but just make sure you buy the right one. If money is not too tight, get a fresh rebuilt one (around $7 to 8k + core, no install)

Nice to hear that you are now going for the ultimate engine for the 2002. I'm sure this s14 bug is catching on a fair bit now...

Anyone have a picture of how the stock S14 lower oil pan needs to be modified in order to clear the frame rail? I know one was posted on here not long ago but I cant seem to find it. There is now a wonderful horizontal baffle available that bolts in and completely encircles the pickup. I think I will be comfortable with this baffle, 1L overfill and a oil pressure gauge.

Hi Madjurgen,

Have you modified the s14 oil pan yet. I am at the point in my conversion that I need to decide on whether I baffle and use the M10 pan or modify the S14 oil pan. I'd appreciate some photos if you have modified you s14 oil pan so I can see where I need to make the changes.

My only other alternative is to go for the VACs hybrid sump pan.

regards

D

I had my S14 pan modified by a local machine shop. Turned out excellent, I will post some photos when I get home. Looks exactly the same as the picture posted earlier. I am also using the baffle made by John over at s14power.net, completely encircles the pickup. I did have to do a little bit of grinding on the driver's side frame rail to clear the pan, but no big deal. It also inteferes with my IE swaybar but that'll easily be solved with some 1/2" blocks of aluminum to lower the bar.

If you read the beginning of the thread, I believe Ian stated he had some fitment problems with the VAC pan. I dont mind paying 1K$, but for that money it better fit perfectly. I believe my solution will be sufficient out on track and cost me a whole lot less too.

1990 325i

1976 2002

I had my S14 pan modified by a local machine shop. Turned out excellent, I will post some photos when I get home. Looks exactly the same as the picture posted earlier. I am also using the baffle made by John over at s14power.net, completely encircles the pickup. I did have to do a little bit of grinding on the driver's side frame rail to clear the pan, but no big deal. It also inteferes with my IE swaybar but that'll easily be solved with some 1/2" blocks of aluminum to lower the bar.

If you read the beginning of the thread, I believe Ian stated he had some fitment problems with the VAC pan. I dont mind paying 1K$, but for that money it better fit perfectly. I believe my solution will be sufficient out on track and cost me a whole lot less too.

Hi Madjurgen,

Many thanks for the reply! I believe you are completely right about your solution being cost effective and offers a perfect fit. I look forward to receiving the pictures with more details regarding the modifications and clearance with the IE sway bar.

I have looked at the VACs sump in more detail and decided its too costly when you consider the shipping and import tax for the UK. I have posted a tread on the s14power forum to ask if anyone can point me to the supplier in germany for the modified s14 sump. Failing that I will consider modifying my current s14 sump which is why I could do with your help. Also which IE sway bar do you have? Is it that standard straight bar or drop bar?

Feel free to email me direct at divyesh.jansari@atkinsglobal.com

Regards

Divyesh

t_s14pantjw_784.jpg

My pan looks exactly like TJW's. I actually took this picture to my machinist as an example.

Hi Madhurgen,

it would be good to see some detailed pictures and some measurements too. I'm not aware of TJW or the his website can you provide an address please.

thanks

Got this from TJW in hong kong. Its on the web page he has.

Pete, do you have TJW's email address or a link to his website?

Sorry i didn't catch this sooner. i dug up his website with the search

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,202865/highlight,tjw/

however it seems the pics are no longer available. There is an address listed on the site. Ive written him before and he always helped heaps.

Pete

For those of you using the 265 tranny, by what length does the M3 shifter linkage need to be shortened in order to line up with the hole in the '02 tunnel? Any pictures?

Madjurgen,

Sorry about this but I could do with an image of the whole s14 sump pan indicating exactly where I need to modify as my car is RHD.

I could also do with some measurements for the M3 Shifter linkage as i'm using the 265/5 getrag gearbox.

Are you also using the front half of the M3 propshaft and the rear half of the 2002 propshaft??

Regards

Divyesh

Madjurgen,

I've attached an image of the TJW sump pan where I think it needs modification. Have I indicated correctly? My workshop are waiting to do the modification but i'm not sure exactly where the sump needs modifiying to clear the chassis rail. If you have an image of the whole sump before/after modification it would be very useful.

post-2296-13667583436317_thumb.jpg

Yes, that is where the pan interferes with the frame. Although in my case I took a dremel to the frame instead of altering the pan more than what is already shown in that picture. I dont believe that part of the frame(it isnt really the frame, more like a gusset), isnt all that important to the structural integrity of that area. Again, this is just my opinion, I will keep a close eye on this area and strengthen if need be.

The actual frame rail will need a little bit of metal cut out of it regardless if you make the modification youve drawn above or not. Its just the nature of using the S14 pan. In the picture youve drawn on, the flange on the left will contact the drivers side rail but like I said nothing that cant be solved with a little metal removal.

I believe I took ~97mm out of both parts of the shift linkage. I have not put this in the car yet so Im not sure if it will fit. Nick Vyse told me he took out around 1", so that is quite a large difference.

I am using the complete M3 driveshaft, but again I have not put it in the car so I cannot tell you with certainty that it will work.

Sorry I cannot be of more help, this project is on hold for me right now while I get my other car back on the road.

1990 325i

1976 2002

Yes, that is where the pan interferes with the frame. Although in my case I took a dremel to the frame instead of altering the pan more than what is already shown in that picture. I dont believe that part of the frame(it isnt really the frame, more like a gusset), isnt all that important to the structural integrity of that area. Again, this is just my opinion, I will keep a close eye on this area and strengthen if need be.

The actual frame rail will need a little bit of metal cut out of it regardless if you make the modification youve drawn above or not. Its just the nature of using the S14 pan. In the picture youve drawn on, the flange on the left will contact the drivers side rail but like I said nothing that cant be solved with a little metal removal.

I believe I took ~97mm out of both parts of the shift linkage. I have not put this in the car yet so Im not sure if it will fit. Nick Vyse told me he took out around 1", so that is quite a large difference.

I am using the complete M3 driveshaft, but again I have not put it in the car so I cannot tell you with certainty that it will work.

Sorry I cannot be of more help, this project is on hold for me right now while I get my other car back on the road.

Thanks Madjurgen,

Please keep me posted with your developments on the gear stick as this is my next job. As for the sump pan I am going to fit the horizontal baffle that John supplies and reienforce the vertical baffle as my rivets have come loose. While the sump pan is with the workshop i'm also thinking of increasing sump capacity if permisable within the constraints of the bodyshell.

bye for now

D

• 1 month later...

Madjurgen,

Do you have the pictures of the sump pan modification??? I dont fancy undertaking any modifications until I know exactly where I need to change.

All the best

Divyesh