• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who still uses the original seat belts in their 02?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Who still uses the original seat belts in their 02?

An earlier post regarding non retracting passenger restraints brought the above question to mind. I have had several old cars, some with the original and some with replacement/newer seat belts.

Wondering if there is a consensus as to whether the original belts are inherently unsafe.

Opinions?

Thanks

I still use 'em in my '76 2002. I have an aftermarket racing seat bolted to the floor and the seat belt fits great. If I lean forward the belt will lock in place and then retract back, so I know it works. I do feel safe with the original belts. But if the crash is gnarly enough no seat belt will save you.

David

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Most 02's I've seen still run the original belts although some are better than others.

A common 'upgrade' or safety enhancement on an earlier 02 is to install the later inertia reel style belts. The earlier ones aren't as effective/safe.

If you go really early ('66/'67) seat belts were optional! :)

My '67 has lap belts installed by the dealer. Pretty cool since it is obvious they scrounged for parts back then. It has buckles just like the same ones used in planes. Most of the early lap belts will be clearly marked with some kind of Aviation branding.

If you are concerned about safety in an 02 then you want a set of the inertia reel belts. There are some nice aftermarket ones currently available too that look period correct. They go for about $75 a side or so....

If you have a later 02 and your belts are in good order you should be just fine.

I can't say I'd be happy with using 30+ year old belts. If you're going racing then you have to change your belts every 2 years (SFI 16.1 spec) or 5 years (FIA spec) because the webbing is deemed to be too degraded to be safe after that period. Admittedly your much more likely to "use" your belts in a race car but........

Many people change out their early belts for the later reel-belts. I still have the spagehti belts in my 69' and they are fine. They just need to be adjusted properly, I think that what draws many away from them. Once they are set up, they are fine, except for track/driver's school, that could get a little hairy.....

I can't say I'd be happy with using 30+ year old belts. If you're going racing then you have to change your belts every 2 years (SFI 16.1 spec) or 5 years (FIA spec) because the webbing is deemed to be too degraded to be safe after that period. Admittedly your much more likely to "use" your belts in a race car but........

I agree. The UV degradation on 30 yr.+/- old nylon is substantial. I replaced them in both my ' 02s recently (Blunt had some for sale) and feel much safer should the need ever arise.

Bob Napier

Sonoma,

I know some of the board members here have bought new belts from this guy (below) on Ebay. They look like the originals and are safer/newer. Give him a try.

I think there is a post if you do a search. I remember someone posting pics a while back on installing these new belts.

Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEAT-BELT-bmw-2002-66-76-75-74-73-72-71-70-69-68-67-CAR_W0QQitemZ110159221310QQihZ001QQcategoryZ50458QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought and installed brand new Genuine BMW 3 pt belts for Emily about 6 years ago. They work flawlessly and are designed for the Orig. interior / seat geometry. Has that changed with the install of E30 sport seats? Great question, but I'm happy with them, and feel better about choosing them than using some aftermarket set-up. As far as I know "technology" of inertia reel belts hasn't changed much - except for those air charged explosive tensioners used on newer BMWs, etc. Old belts are dangerous for several reasons - but I trust new OEM units with my life (and those of my passengers).

HTH

Paul

post-2748-13667580949995_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com