• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colorado tii-ers?

Andy74tii

I'm in Denver right now working, and planning to move back here from Houston. I grew up here and had a couple of 02s back in the 70s and 80s. Now I have a tii, and wonder if anyone has any advice regarding emissions... is it hard to pass and are there any insights? Also, any suggestions about tii mechanics in the Denver area? Many thanks!

FAQ Member #126

Hi Andy,

For top-notch BMW 2002 (injected or carbed) service in the area I'd recommend Bimmer Haus in Broomfield. http://www.bimmerhaus.com Great folks with experience, racers, know their stuff - old and new.

As for emissions - since your car is a 74, you may have an easier time than me with a 76. They test for exhaust output but also for equipment (though for cars older than a cut-off date just the former). 76 may be the cutoff date for the equipment part, I kinda forget - but I know equipment was a part of my test a few years back. I don't know if the law changed to a 'sliding scale' for older cars or it has a firm year-date for the equipment part of the test kicking in.

If you register as a collector vehicle (special plates), you only need to deal with emissions every 4 years. There's no limits on miles driven with the collector plates, just an age requirement I beleive.

There's quite a few 2002s/owners around here - looking forward to seeing you around.

Tom

ps: I know several on this forum, I'd expect them to chime in too.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Hey Tom,

You almost got it ;). Depending on who you go to for emission they do a cursory check of the engine bay. It depends on your faith of the ineptitude of the emissions guy, either you go with the smog gear or not. My 73 had a 32/36 and header and the guy just started sticking his probe in my cars tail pipe.

The most imprtant thing about the Colorado emissions is getting the collector's plates. These register your car for 5 year increments and there is no emissions testing for as long as you own the car and don't let the registration lapse. You can stick a Chebby V8 in there and no one will be the wiser, until you sell the car that is.

Welcome back to Denver Andy! Nice to have another 2002er in the area!

Mike

Poke around the state of Colo web site and the official rules on emissions checks are posted there.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

for collector plates yuo only have to pass emissions once. as long as you do not transfer the title. I passed emissions down here with no prblem, the basic test just basically checks your output at idle, for me all i had to do was lean my car out withh my mixture screw and she passed... she ran like poop but passed...

Thanks for the advice guys; I will look into it. I was driving around Arvada yesterday, which is where I will likely end up, and I only saw one 02 - right around 76th and Kipling or thereabouts. By sheer coincidence, it was exactly the same color as my car - Turkis! Belong to anyone here?

FAQ Member #126

i am in arvada a lot, and have never seen another 02 on the road there.. but sure isnt my car, let us know how the emissions turns out, there are a bunch of places here to emissions done n old cars, I take mine to the one off of oxford and broadway, the guy is a car guy and will let most stuff slide as long as the car passes he doesnt really care. he let you fuss with the car to help it pass aswell.... ( tips are always welcome )

Thanks for the corrections, Mike. It's great to know I won't have to go through emissions again - I thought I had to redo that every 4-5 years when I renewed my collector plates/registration. (Now that I have the 304 Schrick I'd expect it to be harder to pass than when I had the 292.)

And I won't have to try and find the 'right guy/place' to get my emissions test done to hope they don't exactly notice the lack of air pump and all that emissions crap... Last time it took 2 retests to find the 'right guy' ;-) (My tailpipe tests were actually excellent - WAY under output requirements, but I had 'equipment' issues.) At the time they told me they were treating my 76 differently than if it was an older 02, since 76 was some cutoff date at the time and I fell into the 'more restricted/stricter' grouping where the emissions equipment was required.

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com