• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First restoration - 1973 BMW 2002 - Chamonix

Some new photos of the car after the front body work. Still sporting the undercoating, but anything is better than the green bonnet from before.

I'm looking to upgrade to a Parker Performance console (mainly for safety with the addition of 3 new guages) and repairing the upholstery.

Todd, I'm seriously contemplating your recaros, just need to convince my dad.

Next steps:

2 Pak Chamonix paint

Cleaning the engine bay

Paint the rocker cover black

post-3106-1366759033031_thumb.jpg

post-3106-13667590333503_thumb.jpg

1973 Chamonix auto squarie

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

looks good and that black rocker cover will look very good.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

As bing bong said black spackle rocker cover with raised bits polished looks so good ...right bing bong ;-p

Did you nab that parker performance console off ebay Damon?

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Nope, I saw that one on ebay but I'm going to buy the full kit straight from the source with all the guages.

I've got to get a few parts from Alasdair before the painting, in particular a passenger side mirror. I'm going to have to test fit it before painting.

Thankfully the door already has holes for the mirror.

• 2 weeks later...

The sound proofing I ordered from ebay arrived today, ready to lay on the weekend. I'll be stripping out the old carpet and tar mat this weekend, giving everything a good paint with POR before laying the new sound deadening material.

I've also just received a battery kill switch which I'll be attaching to the rear strut brace/battery relocation kit I'm about to order from TEP.

The weather in Sydney's killing me at the moment, it's delaying the new paint job quite a lot, I'm hoping for a couple of fine weekends this Winter!!

If I can't paint straight away, there are a couple of things I can do in the garage such as the sound proofing, installing the rear strut brace, picking up the Parker Performance console I'm looking to install, installing central locking (just bought a set) and an alarm. I've got no excuses to not get something done!!

i know where you can get one of those 5 spd's, but your not getting it out of me! hahahaha, now all i need is the cash to fund it :(

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Sharing is caring...

Don't worry Bingbong, I've managed to track one down already, just need to organise to pick it up.

Btw, I'm about to order the rear strut brace from the US. You interested in getting one? I was going to ask Ash if she wanted one too, we could split the shipping and get a bulk discount as well.

When i start doing my suspension stuff, custom made! Going to start getting into the fabrication stuff

• 1 month later...

Finally an update...

The car's been back off the road for the last 5 weeks getting a major facelift. Don't let the original photos I posted fool you, parts of the car were rife with rust, big sections had been bogged (bondo) and a few panels were dented.

In saying that, I know these photos look terrible, but trust me, the car is in much better condition. Once I get a few more panels beaten, there will be layers of spray putty and primer applied, smoothed and then painted 2pak Chamonix.

I'll be moving the battery to the boot/trunk thanks to a Top End Performance rear strut brace with battery relocation kit. I'll install it once the boot is PORd, the paint job is finished and I have some new lower springs to install at the rear.

[/img] Batteryp><p>I

{option} Interior alt='2716109730'>

Under the hood, I'm looking at putting in a Weber. Originally I was going for a 32/36 as the car is a street car, but I want a much sportier feel. Based on feedback, I'll go for the 38/38 with a reground 284 cam.

(Obviously I also need to strip back the glue from the old sound hood insulation and respray with the rest of the car).

Yes, I got the 320 wheel from one of the board members, I like the (semi) period look about it. Can't wait for it to arrive, it will make the 02 much more fun to drive.

Btw, do you know which dizzy I need for your Petronix to work?

• 1 month later...

In my quest to turn my '73 into a performance street machine that can be taken out to track to be thrown around, I've just acquired an E12 head. I can work on this one while the stock one is still on the engine.

I haven't picked it up yet, but its stock and will be coming with a weber 2 barrell manifold (which will have a 38 hooked up to it).

The question I put out to the community is, what upgrades should I make to the head to increase the performance, yet still make it driveable?

I'll most likely be sourcing the new parts in one hit from Ireland Engineering and having them sent to Australia.

post-3106-13667595061163_thumb.jpg