• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken Shock?

tsk02

Noticed a rattling coming from the back of car, discovered drivers side shock at was really loose ( rubber bumper not compressed at all).

Can't seem tighten down anymore. Is there another spacer, or attachment that mounts under the wheelwell, that could be missing?, or is the shock just broken, something else? Gonna pull the wheel off later today, but I thought I'd get some info first.

Thanks, Tim

,,,,THE THREADS MIGHT BE STRIPPED ?

special double-bump rubber from BMW fills

the hole in the body, metal spacer tube inside that, shock

rod thru tube, double nuts on top, oe a single ny-lock

nut, large metal washers top and bottom of rubber insert

1-9146261.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

On long-lived shocks (like Bilsteins) I've had that rubber bushing actually wear out, leaving only the metal sleeve. I made new ones from short sections of automotive air condiitoning hose! Don't laugh; they're working fine.

You might also be able to find some proper sized bushings either from Bilstein or at a shop that does a lot of shock work like Midas. Take the old metal sleeve and the shock itself to get the right size.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for the diagram, that is really helpful.

Threads don't appear to be stripped. Seems like the same amount of thread is showing on the other shock, so that is what puzzeled me.

I didn't want to continue threading down the shaft because it didn't seem to be compressing the rubber washer at all.

Tim