• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signals and hazard lights quit

Grover

By process of elimination with known good fuses, I don't believe it to be those. I cleaned the contacts on the turn signal relay, but zero action is happening in there when I turn the signal stalk or press in the hazard switch button. All else works, radio, heater blower, lights, etc... Any guesses? How can I test if a turn signal switch is functional?

I had my turn signals go out once and it turned out to be the hazard switch. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the problem was. Bought one from 2002AD for like $8 and its been fine ever since. Good luck!

David

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

I wondered if that could be the problem, but my radio pulls power from the hazard switch and it still works fine. Hmmm

I dont why all those wires run to and from the hazard switch. When I talked to the guys from 2002AD they said that if the clicker in the hazard switch fails, the turn signals will fail too. They must be wired together in some way. I couldn't believe it was something so simple. I was checking fuses and wires for shorts everywhere. I was also going to purchase a turn signal assembly from 2002AD when they told me to check the hazard switch. That saved me over $100! See if a fellow FAQer in your area has on lying around or has one you can borrow to see if thats the problem. Good luck!

David

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Everything related to the blinkers runs thru tha hazard switch. It's not uncommon for them to go bad. Do yourself a favor and run wire for the radio from the fusebox. On the fused side of course(switched). Same goes for the memory(constant).

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Guest Anonymous

hi there

have you tried cleaning the contacts in the fuse box...i had a brake light and blinker issues, so i took some fine sand paper and lightly went over all of my fuses and their contacts and whala, no more issues.

good luck

as others suggested, is the suspect common element between the turn signals and the hazard lights. The flasher relay is the other common element. The hazard lights run off a different fuse from the turn signals, and it's unlikely two fuses went bad (besides, you checked the fuses). Try this: with the key off, move the hazard switch button very slowly over its full range of travel. Repeat with the ignition and turn signal switches on.

Try a different flasher relay if you have one. Email me if you need one.

As I recall, the radio power wire comes from the hazard switch harness, but the radio power is not on the same fuse as either the turn signals or the hazard lights.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators