• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To modify or not.... or is it to street race or not???

Drastic response to ricers in California.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19339955/

I guess 02s should be safe from scrutiny but man, that hurts the pocket book. It seems that even if you aren't street racing, you can be caught and have the car crushed.

When I was 18, I sure didn't have $10k for souping up a car like that. Hence the kids and hot parts.

Can't say I disagree with the tactics but I still hope some recycling happens. Might even slow down auto theft a smidgen... Yeah right.

Pierre

More power!

Man, I'm FUCKED! I dont have a reciept for my transmission, they're gonna crush my car!

This is idiotic. Not to mention Cruel and Unusual punishment (more the unusual part) One kid had a broken tail-light... another was pulled over near a place where street racing 'supposedly' happens??

Take their licenses away. Impound the cars. This drastic crap is going to do nothing more than make things worse. Don't want your car crushed? Run from the police!

Brilliant. They really thought this through.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

I agree that destroying stolen property is the way to go. That or they should return the stolen property back to the insurance companies who have already paid out on the claims. I would sincerely hope that once upon a time people didn't go around stealing e21's & e30's to chop & sell the parts to 2002 guys. This Honda thing is nothing new and it is one of the reasons why our car insurance is so expensive.

Any other suggestion they can offer keeps the stolen parts in circulation which only perpetuates the problem. I don't know that entire cars should be crushed for having one stolen part but on the flip side it will force them to stay on the straight and narrow. I feel that street racing kills people and puts people at risk and that a ring of stolen cars & parts that backs that underground market is the same as drugs, guns or anything else that eventually leads to people getting killed over something that's not worth it.

Besides - they were all hondas! If they were 02's I'd be up in arms!

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Man, I'm FUCKED! I dont have a reciept for my transmission, they're gonna crush my car!

This is idiotic. Not to mention Cruel and Unusual punishment (more the unusual part) One kid had a broken tail-light... another was pulled over near a place where street racing 'supposedly' happens??

Take their licenses away. Impound the cars. This drastic crap is going to do nothing more than make things worse. Don't want your car crushed? Run from the police!

Brilliant. They really thought this through.

I'm not saying that Police are "brilliant", but.....I disagree with the cruel and unusual punishment opinion you have.

I've been to my share of vehicle vs. pedestrian collision investigations. The absolute devistation is astounding at these crime scenes.

I don't think that crushing street racer's cars is more cruel than the pedestrian being brutally cut in two by the racer's car @ 120MPH.

I'm not saying I'm right, I just have a different opinion.

I don't street race (although as a teenager, I did in my 67 Chevelle) I race at the track, where everyone is on the same page safety-wise. Fees for road racing (Willow Springs and Streets of Willow) are as low as $145 a day (8-5pm) with PLENTY of track time. I think Drag Strip races (at night) are cheaper than that. Bottom line, it's a choice, always.

Cops will always have a reason to pull you over, and if they want to "do you" they have all the rules written in their favor. I really hate that. It's like we're part of the herd of prey, just trying to avoid the predator....and no, I'm not a cop.

Cheers,

Mike

74 2002