• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some Progress on Dual Carb setup - another fitting question

lsixt

DUH - just hit me with a board with a nail in it!

That bolt in the middle of the pipe doesn't block the flow (which I thought it did). That's where the outlet from the manifold would go - right? I can be rather dense at times. Sorry.

I think I got it! Phew.

The "what's this" in my photo... there is a small threaded hole in the rear of the engine block (near the arrow). What goes in there?

The "what's this" in my photo... there is a small threaded hole in the rear of the engine block (near the arrow). What goes in there?
Sorry I guess I'm just as bad... I think I drank so much Chianti last week that my brain turned red!

It goes to the manifold and I forget exactly what it does but it makes it a real bastard to change the starter motor. If you ever change out your starter or gearbox pull that first and it'll be a lot easier! I would assume that you can just plug that or to be neater just put a threadded bolt in there as a plug. I don't believe that you need it for a dual carb setup or an ITB setup...

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Still trying to get the dual DOCE's installed.

New fuel pump - so the front carb fits.

Now the bypass / divider pipe is in the way. I'm told that a Tii bypass or 320i or 320 would fit, but here's my question.

The outlet that goes to the rear supplied water to the intake manifolds, but my manifolds aren't water cooled. So if you look at the picture, why couldn't I cut off that outlet and seal it up?

I don't have the full water "flow" diagram, but I would think the return would also need to be sealed off. Unless the water flow can't be stopped at that point? Am I missing something?

If someone has a water "map" (so to speak) it would be helpful.

Everyone has been so helpful. Just wanted to thank all those that offered help - AGAIN.

Thanks,

Len

You need a Ti or 318i water tree.. Or 320i

Here's a pic.

DSC03486.sized.jpg

you will notice there's not barb on the back, and its also slightly angled. :)

320i ones aren't angled.

If any of you are still following this thread here's what I did.

I'm not saying it's correct or not and may not even work, but I see no reason why not. Custom to say the least. Not for the purest, but then so too is the dual carb setup or any other non-stock modification.

I cut off the rear "nipple" on my stock water tree. Enough so it didn't hit my front carb. Then I, plugged that hole from the inside and outside with JB weld epoxy.

For the "bypass" pipe, I went to Lowes and got myself a 18" grey PVC riser (used for lawns). Run straight from the outflow of the heater box back to the water pump.

Made some mounting straps to hold the riser in place - but away from the engine block.

I think this will be effectivly functional.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Regards,

Len

I'm still following. Two things, first I would be hesitant to use a long piece of PVC because it might crack. It is tied to the block but the end for the heater is attached to the body. A certain amount of flex is in all cars especially if you drive hard (and with dual Webers you will!).

Second is the heat of the coolant. You are pumping a tremendous amount of heat through something that is designed for a sprinkler system. If you want to do the Lowe's route, get some copper tubing and a 45 or 90 bend to mimic the shape of the BMW part.

Just my .02 cents.

Mike

I know you're right. The pvc isn't a good solution. Your idea sounds like something I might explore.

Someone on the board wants $35.00 + shipping for the Tii bypass. Sounds high to me, but I don't know. I may give 02 salvage a call and see if they have one (I'm sure they will)

Thanks..

I don't think I would have used the PVC - the path isn't straight, and it just didn't make sense - after I gave it reasonable thought.

I know you're right. The pvc isn't a good solution. Your idea sounds like something I might explore.

Someone on the board wants $35.00 + shipping for the Tii bypass. Sounds high to me, but I don't know. I may give 02 salvage a call and see if they have one (I'm sure they will)

Thanks..

I don't think I would have used the PVC - the path isn't straight, and it just didn't make sense - after I gave it reasonable thought.

320i also have those tubes. I dont think I've got a spare, but email me.. :) I just might.