• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some Progress on Dual Carb setup - another fitting question

lsixt

Still trying to get the dual DOCE's installed.

New fuel pump - so the front carb fits.

Now the bypass / divider pipe is in the way. I'm told that a Tii bypass or 320i or 320 would fit, but here's my question.

The outlet that goes to the rear supplied water to the intake manifolds, but my manifolds aren't water cooled. So if you look at the picture, why couldn't I cut off that outlet and seal it up?

I don't have the full water "flow" diagram, but I would think the return would also need to be sealed off. Unless the water flow can't be stopped at that point? Am I missing something?

If someone has a water "map" (so to speak) it would be helpful.

Everyone has been so helpful. Just wanted to thank all those that offered help - AGAIN.

Thanks,

Len

post-1447-13667577351588_thumb.jpg

At least on my car, that little inlet on the water neck goes to the intake manifold, which is fed by the output of the heater core. I'll be going the DCOE route soon, and I was curious about this too. I assume the tii/320i hose just bypasses the intake and goes directly to the heater core?

It's making me nuts for sure.

The outlet that I'm currently questioning is the one that points directly back towards the firewall. In the drawing it appears that a hose (#6) goes directly to the manifold, then hose (#2) comes out of the manifold and back to the water pump.

I don't see heater hoses coming into play, or do I see any other hoses hitting the manifold. But I don't have a stock manifold to examine so I'm in the dark with where any of the cooling hoses go.

The #2 hose should be replaced by the "heater bypass tube" from a 318i or tii(?). Look here:

coolantbypass01.JPG

Now, Zenon's engine is coated with a high-tech, terra firma/petroleum-based protectant, but you can see how the tube connects the water pump to the heater core.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

OK, understand that. Great image!

Sorry to be so dense, but I guess what I'm still confused with is how (on the stock setup) the hose that comes out of the water neck went through the intake manifold and tied into the heater hose.

The picture you posted clearly shows me how the heater hose goes back to the water pump. What I still don't understand is where the heater hose and the manifold outlet hoses got tied together on the stock setup.

Summary then, why couldn't I cut off that outlet on the water neck, have it plugged, and simply run the heater hose to the water pump. Or is that exactly what you're saying? Why do I need a different water neck? The one that I have could be retrofited - I think. No?

Thanks Clay. I just spent 15 minutes diggin up a photo of my engine install that shows the exact same thing. IX, you can block off the rear facing inlet on the water neck. It is easy enough to score one from a 318 though and it is a little cleaner looking install.

The bypass tube from Zenon's engine is the 320 or 318 one that I mentioned you need to plug. See the bolt stickiing out about hlafway on the pipe?

I can e-mail you the pic I found if you think you need it.

If it helps, it's a heater return hose. Water flows from the heater core to the water pump. the nipple that is plugged is from some unused feature. I dont know what "why not here" means. Are you asking why not plug that port? I don't know what it would do to your car, but i dont think it's a good idea. I'm going to do a heater delete and stull run coolant through there.

See that bolt in the middle.

I marked some things I still don't get. See photo.

OK on our cars the water goes from the pump to the intake manifold, then from the manifold to the heater core. With this setup we just bypass the intake manifold and go directly to the heater. I don't know what that little plug is by the middle bolt. Probably something for a TB. Unless you want to run no heat you have to do something. The 'what's this' all the way to the right is where the water exits the bypsss tube and goes into the hose that enters the heater core. Hope that helps...

What other questions do you have? Just go to the junkyard and grab yourself a bypass tube and you'll see...

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76