• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

finshed rear disc setup

us4736

heres what you need it cost me about 500 and thats parts only you can save about 150 $ if you use VW non vented rotors

parts list : 2 wilwood dynalite calipers 250$

set of brake pads 50$

2 dynalite mounting brackets (speedway) 20$

1989 VW jetta GLI rotors vented 256x20mm 150$

piece of 1/4" plate steel 5"x 5" and a 2 5/8" hole saw . the mounting bracket is for a rear end with a 3" tube and a 11.75" rotor so the mounting hole (2 5/8") has to be moved up about 3/4"or i moved mine 0.710 . drill a 2 5/8 hole in the center of the 1/4 plate then cut it in half so one for each side .drill mounting holes weld it up and bingo . if had to do it again i think i'd spend another 100 and buy lee's brake setup

post-1291-13667576919874_thumb.jpg

post-1291-13667576921391_thumb.jpg

post-1291-13667576922811_thumb.jpg

post-1291-13667576924307_thumb.jpg

post-1291-13667576926638_thumb.jpg

REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

Yeah I made a set using the VW calipers and rotor with rebuilt calipers and I think it was only about a $100 bucks cheaper than Ireland's or Aarvark's kits not even counting the time it took, so the short story is no one is getting rich on their kits.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

That's awesome,

i want the same set-up,

Can you make me a set or Any chance i can buy a form off of you, maby something in cardboard(Doesn't have to be super precise) the exact shape of the caliper mounting brackets so i can cut and weld my own.

I'd be reaping the benefits of your hard work(hours figuring out stuff) but i'm willing to pay

Here's my email

Skiercross_2@hotmail.com

really nice work!

Great work. It's always interesting to see what other people do and how they tackle the problems we've been thru earlier and see how solutions are different. Basically, the main difference between what you did, and what Massive has done comes with getting as much clearance around the caliper for wheels. I elected to push the caliper inward by at least an extra 1" (adding 1" extra wheel clearance), which required some creative solutions to push the lower shock pick-up point inward by 15mm to clear the caliper. Also, you elected to get a regular Dynalite caliper, while Massive kit is using the NarrowMount Dynalite, because it is interchangeable with Superlite calipers. It takes always a lot of time to do those projects. Again, congratulation for your great work.

SnowFlake: Ready-built kits exist for your 2002, and they are designed and produced in your area.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Lee in montreal.

i am not aware of any, can you tell me where i can get the parts for this conversion.

I have a 75 tii if that makes a difference.

I have been making brake kits for 2002 for the past 6 years. Massive is located in Montreal, on Le Plateau. For 2002s, you can have 11.75" x 1.25" two-piece race rotors and 4 pot Superlite forged calipers, and rear is 11.75" x 0.81" two-piece race rotors plus 4 pots calipers (Superlite or BNDL).

www.massivebrakes.com

Rear kit. No machining required.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,288436/

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Thanks, i'm checking it out.

sorry for the thread jacking

Hey SnowFlake. If you need any info on the brakes, do not hesitate to call me at 514 289.9603 or if you need help with your 02, it'll be my pleasure to give you a few hints.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Justine, the VW calipers I used we're from a mid 80's to early 90's Jetta, the rebuilds I ordered were remanned by Cardone with a part #17-1547 and I ordered them on line thru auto zone, It appears that most VW rear calipers of this era are the same. When you pick up your calipers either from a rebuilder or a pick 'n pull be sure to get both parts, the actual caliper and the mount/slide, about 2/3 of the rebuilds don't come with the mount and you'll need one for sure. I'll post some pictures of my set ups and maybe a bracket pattern this weekend when my camera comes back.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.