• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which car rear brake dics bolts up to our car, any photos ?

fast2002

am looking at doing the rear dics brake conversion here shortly. I heard there is a VW that used for the conversion. Is there any truth to this? Do anyone have any photos of a bolt on conversion.

I know Dave @AAvardo sells the kit put I am on a tight budget.

Also, how do you like the conversion?

Thanks

The rotor most folks use is a non vented VW front rotor. The easiest model to purchase the correct front rotor for (to avoid confusion concerning year models, various trim levels etc) is ANY VW Fox. But this rotor doesn't simply "slip on". The outer circumference of the 2002's rear hub must be reduced for the rotor to fit. The rear rotor from an E30 325E/I will slip right on but has a larger hub center and doesn't center up well. It's larger diameter (larger than the VW) also reduces the already limited space available for caliper attachment. In terms of functionality I think rear disc is a worthwhile upgrade no matter what anybody else says to the contrary.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

am looking at doing the rear dics brake conversion here shortly. I heard there is a VW that used for the conversion. Is there any truth to this? Do anyone have any photos of a bolt on conversion.

I know Dave @AAvardo sells the kit put I am on a tight budget.

Also, how do you like the conversion?

Thanks

You can make a bracket from a piece of cardboard and metal stock (trace the cardboard cutout onto the metal) or probably email guys like Lee or Dave Varco at Aardvark for the brackets. I think they run around $60ish a set. You'll need to have the hub turned down and get the bracket. Also many will say that you will now need a bias valve. I know you'll want one if you have stock fronts... maybe not so much with stock rears. Also there are a few issues with the parking brake cables. Not sure what they are either....

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

i'am using VW jetta GLI front rotors 256x20mm vented and cross drilled those are 150$ two wilwood dynalite calipers and pads thats another 300$ i have to make my own brackets thats free but takes time and machine the hubs plus make lines to fit .by the time i'am done i'am sure i'll have 600$ plus in this setup .so dave varcos setup is'nt a bad price plus i don't think you realy what to 1/2ass your brakes .heres pics i just ordered my caplipers last night more pics this weekend

post-1291-13667576524692_thumb.jpg

post-1291-13667576525932_thumb.jpg

REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

When I am finished with the ebrake option for the rear Massive kit, I will have several sets of brackets cut to fit the solid VW Rabbit disc and GTi-Jetta caliper with integral parking brake. Nonetheless, this set-up is not the most practical one in my opinion, but it works under 13" wheels.

Brackets will be cut from stainless as the front ones.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

And as with every project you undertake I know this hardware will be state-of-the-art and you'll have no shortage of buyers. This is a market (diy rear disc) which really needs to be served.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©