• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie from melbourne

sam_z

Hey all, I just bought an 02 for daily driving about a week ago so I thought I better join the forum.

It's a pretty original '74 carbed (Weber 38/38 which I'm convinced is too much carb for this stock motor plus it has the god awful elec. choke) granatrot metallic in decent condition - rustwise it's relatively clean, mechanically not too bad although there's a disturbing harmony of whining noises coming from the transmission and diff which are going to need some attention soon.

As expected, every new day has brought a different problem to my attention - hazard switch breaking, water pump leaking, alarm going off in the middle of the night, gearbox and diff (and owner) whining, oil pres sender wire breaking. Already the search button up in that corner has come in EXTREMELY handy.

Anyway for now I just wanted to say hello to everyone and especially to the other aussies. And also------I LOVE THESE CARS!!!

R0022807small.JPG

Welcome Sam!

She looks like a beauty! Very clean! Once you get those problems sorted out, she'll be a beaut to drive especially with that 38/38.

You'll find there are a large group of us in Melbourne so no shortages of 02'ers to go on drives with. We sometimes get together for informal drives and of course it would be great to have you along.

If you shoot me off an email to cmorriso (at) bigpond (dot) net (dot) au I'll get Doug Read to add you to the Register (unless your already on it)

Hope to catch you some time in the future.

Cheers,

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Welcome Sam_Z!

My mate looked at that car as his first foray into the '02 shape, but the owner was not too forthcoming with information on the email and he lost interest in it.

It looks quite clean... I thought it had twin webers on it though. I'll have to check out my email history for pics ( remember the plate - it was on carsales). The 38/38 should go alright once it is all tuned up and running right - isn't this what Shaun has?

We will be more than willing to have you along on one of our runs! Shoot me an email at todd2002bmw (at) yahoo.com.au and I will let you know everything there is to know about the 2002 register - how to make contact with the head of it, etc.

It is a pretty good community in Victoria (and the online community here is sensational!), with a number of awesome cars to keep you inspired and wanting more.

Best of luck with the car! I look forward to catching up with you soon on a drive if you are really keen!

Cheers,

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

.....give ANGUS a swift kick in the Arse

if he pee's on those rear mud flaps !!!

They're worth more than him !

I agree with you about the TOO Big

38/38 Weber - much debate here

read more Search. 32/36 is the bomb.

your finding out what lack of maintainence

for 30 years adds up to. Yer on the right track.

Make a complete list of all the needed repairs.

Add up your parts cost, and re-inspect way under

hidden areas for the dreaded rusty surprise.

Then set out making it SAFE, - faster will come

along later. Purchase the Macartney 02 Restoration Guide,

and any HP Publishing WEBER carb manual - and Pierce Manifolds

in Calif. sells an Excellent WEBER Catalog/Manual.

CHEERS MATE!

R0022807small.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Thanks for your welcomes guys!

I knew the 02's would spawn a good little community, it's that kind of car.

Look forward to catching up with you all and also, of course, breaking your balls with advice, etc. :)

I'm in Balwyn, and the PO is not even 10 mins away in Hawthorn. You might be interested in knowing that the guy who owned it before the PO (bout 4-5 years ago) was in Geelong, and apparently was a bit of an 02 nut and had a few. At least I think so, I'll confirm with Russell (the PO) when I catch up with him on the weekend.

And this Geelong guys initials may be A.N. as in the numberplate, unless they were registered by an even more previous owner. Who knows.

- Sam.

I THOUGHT I KNEW IT!!!

I recognised the plates... if it is the same car I'm thinking of, he was a student at Uni in Melbourne somewhere. If my memory serves me correct, this car came from WA via eBay, they got it for a steal when the PO had "heaps of trouble with it" - turned out it needed a battery and new plugs...

The PO's dad (Glenn I think) had a heap of them, I met him one day when I was on foot, his dad was getting the radiator flushed at a place in Geelong West. I walked past, went back and had a chat to him. He gave me his number to contact him and catch up, but I cant remember where it ever ended up...

The owners name was Nat or similar? I saw him once or twice in it and waved, but he wasnt giving me much.

His dad knew all about this forum, (back in the old days prior to the upgrade when I couldnt be bothered trying to navigate it...) I'm surprised he isn't around... maybe they sold out of all of their 02 interests...

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

I'm in Balwyn, and the PO is not even 10 mins away in Hawthorn. You might be interested in knowing that the guy who owned it before the PO (bout 4-5 years ago) was in Geelong, and apparently was a bit of an 02 nut and had a few. At least I think so, I'll confirm with Russell (the PO) when I catch up with him on the weekend.

And this Geelong guys initials may be A.N. as in the numberplate, unless they were registered by an even more previous owner. Who knows.

- Sam.

Sam, I'm only a stones throw away in Surrey Hills.

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

See, you really are Sherlock, that's brilliant!! It's always interesting to know the history of our little machines.

I have no idea of the the names or anything like that, when I speak to Russell over the next few days I'll hopefully find out and keep you posted. I'm hoping he has some details of the guy before him, it would be nice knowing more about the car, for example roughly how many k's are on the last rebuild, as the odometer is stuck on 18,300 and has been for a long time, since before he had it (yes I'm pulling the dash soon to fix it.) Plus there could be a few subtle mods that I haven't picked up on, as I'm pretty new to 02's so I wouldn't be able to pick them straight away, things like the stiffer tii trailing arms and stuff I'm just learning about now (they're not on my car but it's those subtle things that I wouldn't notice.)

If you're out there Glenn, Nat, whatever you're name is, let me know!!

By the way are you sure your mate was looking at this one? Russell was really helpful, let me take test drives by myself, showed me receipts, etc. Maybe he confused withholding information for not actually knowing it, as Russell never tinkered with the car himself, he's not that type. He just took it to Mirafiori in Box Hill for servicing + repairs. He was happy to give me the # for me to contact Mirafiori who know the car very well, although you can't trust anything a Fiat mechanic says can you....

- Sam

Hey Tom, that's great, if you need a hand with some work on the car let me know, I'm always looking to learn a thing or two off existing 02ers.

And I noticed you're a P-plater, in that sunset photo anyway - I'm off mine in a couple weeks.

- Sam.