• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone explain the purpose of the air pump.

oldbimmers

Are you planning on using the air pump? if so, Don't.

There are 2 theories regarding the air pump -

1 - it pumps clean air into the exhaust to make the ppm of harmful exhausts go down so it will pass emissions

2 - the added air makes and unburned fuel ignite and burn off in the thermal reactor

I dont know which is true - but both are useless.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

to keep them cooler. The early fix for emissions was to lean the crap out of the engine, frying the valves. The pump and the infamous 'gulp' valve were the first of several bandaids those lovable Germans used.

Yours for folklore and urban legends

John N

Guest Anonymous

I have limited experience with air pumps except that they had a terrible habit of making 70's GM cars sound impolite and terrribly restricted. I vaguely recall someone with a Camaro attempting to modify his airpump so that it supplemented his normally aspirated system. Kind of like a poorman's supercharger.

The concept sounded good, but I do not believe it was successful.

Good luck.

and don't use much power. They merely pump some fresh air into the exhaust manifold; they don't 'restrict' anything.

Assuming you're doing this to a pre-1976 car in California, you don't strictly need the air pump.

A non-tii alternator mounted non-tii style is fine, and it will be more accessible for service.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators