• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Permanent Vendor Rating - revisited/related

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Some time ago there was a lengthy discussion that went nowhere regarding "permanent vendor ratings." Although there have been "private" lists e.g., Alice's, respectfully, this subject maybe a bit too volatile, subjective, and personality driven to meaningfully measure.

HOWEVER, this may be less of a concern regarding inanimate products or parts rather than services. While someone may have a personal stake in selling or making the product, it is valuable to hear that one brand of tierod is better than another. (Thanks Paul) The same may be said for tires, tools, car waxes, or anything else we put on or near our vehicles.

Speaking only for myself, I would prefer doing a search of a category specially designated "Products Good or Bad" than searching aimlessly through the rest of the forum. It probably adds to the unnecessary use of bandwidth, but maybe not more than off-topic.

Thoughts??

Some time ago there was a lengthy discussion that went nowhere regarding "permanent vendor ratings." Although there have been "private" lists e.g., Alice's, respectfully, this subject maybe a bit too volatile, subjective, and personality driven to meaningfully measure.

HOWEVER, this may be less of a concern regarding inanimate products or parts rather than services. While someone may have a personal stake in selling or making the product, it is valuable to hear that one brand of tierod is better than another. (Thanks Paul) The same may be said for tires, tools, car waxes, or anything else we put on or near our vehicles.

Speaking only for myself, I would prefer doing a search of a category specially designated "Products Good or Bad" than searching aimlessly through the rest of the forum. It probably adds to the unnecessary use of bandwidth, but maybe not more than off-topic.

Thoughts??

A ham radio site I sometimes visit has an equipment review page. Alot more users visit the site then here though, however i've found the idea is useful.

Basically its listed by device (or in our case, part) and then sub headings for vendor and part number...

I think it would be brilliant, but I'm not sure how much info we can provide beyond "bilstein is better then stock" Since most of our observations are more qualitative and opinionated then scientific.

That said. I love my koni struts and ST springs. time comes for swaybars i'll be going ST there as well.

I think it would be great for parts but not for vendors. There's too many personal views that come into play. I can shop at a department store all the time and never say a good thing about the service I get, once I feel as if I wasn't helped quickly or happy with the service than I'll complain how bad that place was... It's just the way it is, we tell others about bad experience but rarely about the good.

I think it would cause a lot of conflict since everyone has had different experience with vendors.

I still don't think there's a problem with wildly divergent comments (or poll votes) regarding vendors.

Vendors need to develop (and most of them already have) a thick skin. So, somebody says "Jerry's House of 2002's" suck rocks"......that's quite alright.

A lot of people still order from vendor A & vendor B despite the bad press. Caveat emptor........

It should all come out in the wash over time.

Jerry

Jerry Curry

Salem, OR

-------------

Guest Anonymous

That's why I suggest a simple category name: Products good and bad

Information re vendors may creep in but it does in other posts as well. Since everything appears to be moderated, it van be deleted or moved as needed.

I have noticed that depending upon the point of view of the readers, product discussion (pros and cons) is deemed to be off-topic. Chlorinated additives???? And you folks have very good suggestions that may apply to one product. People might be able to add to the body of "opinion" or fact regarding that product under a specific category rather than have someone end the discussion by stating "its off topic." As someone with limited time and a lot to read, one must make choices.

This is not a panacea for everything, just a random thought. I am sorry if any of you are offended. We all come from different backgrounds and stations in life. I like shag carpeting . . . .[/u]