• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need help from someone that has or knows VW's

esty

i bought some leather seats from an 1987 scirocco...i always thought anything was possible until i saw a pair of VW seats...frame wise, they're in a class of their own...

vwseats.jpg

speaking with the guy i got them from today, he said he still has the car but it's on it's way to the bone yard...he seems to believe that if he cut the floor's out of the VW, i could have them welded in or bolt them to the floor of the 02...having never seen the floor of a scirocco, i have no idea what they look like...i'd guess there's enough room in the floor of the 02's

any thoughts on making this work would be appreciated

Hi mate

i am about to do the same as you , i am a pro welder though. i am fitting a set of cream leather front seats in my 2002 1975 BMW came out of a E46 need a little work to make them fit in but who cares it will be worth it when finished. here is a picture of the floor of a BMW 2002 hope it helps you but a don't know on the VW bit ? good luck and let me know how yee get on with the fitting

Adam

1st picture of a VW floor of a scirocco

2nd picture of bmw 2002

post-2603-1366757462554_thumb.jpg

post-2603-13667574626676_thumb.jpg

I've had a number of watercooled VW's, although they were all '86 or earlier, I imagine the '87 has the same seat arrangement. Anyway, the VW's are a three point attachment, at the rear of the seat on either side is a metal tab which gets covered with a plastic bushing, the tab slides into the seat track which is a vertically orientated channel open on the side toward the seat, a welded part of the body, the center of the seat at the front has the front/back adjustment mechanism which is simply a lever that operates a pin latch mechanism which doubles as the center seat track,part of the body Bottom line is the VW isn't as wide as the '02 so I think it would all fi, but much work. I like a good value, but the efffort doesn't seem to worth the outcome.

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

I did the same thing. Found a real nice set of Golf seats that looked narrow enough to fit in the '92. They're still sitting in my shop because I couldn't find a source for the rear rails (channels) and front hook. I didn't get far enough to really know, but it sure looked like you could cut out the section of the VW floor holding the rails and hook and weld them into the '02 and everthing would work. A real PITA, but nice looking seats. Good Luck, Noel

You would be better served modifying the VW seat rather than the BMW, it would be relatively ( to cutting the floor pan ) easy to get rid of the VW seat rails and weld some cross channels across the seat frame and bolting a set of 2002 rails to it.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

You would be better served modifying the VW seat rather than the BMW, it would be relatively ( to cutting the floor pan ) easy to get rid of the VW seat rails and weld some cross channels across the seat frame and bolting a set of 2002 rails to it.

these seats didn't come with rails...all that's on the bottoms are tube frame and a tube that's welded and runs up the middle of the seat...i just don't see any way that o2 rails would work on these seats

dude that i bought them from is sending me the VW floor pans with the original hardware in place...i'm hoping i can attach the VW floors to my floors and install the seats

Weld two pieces of steel about 1 1/2 by 3/16 and however long it takes to get ACROSS the seat frame, get rid ( grind the welds or cut ) of the rest of the original (VW) seat rails and space two BMW rails where you need them, drill some holes and bolt the rails ( they come apart just use the top half ) to the cross brackets you just welded on, slide the bottom part of the rail back on and bolt them in the car.

I have a pair of MK3 VW shop chairs and have eyed them a few times for the deuce. It'd only take me about an hour to modify both and have them in. Shame they have that ugly assed modern art fabric in the centers because they are comfy as hell.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

Weld two pieces of steel about 1 1/2 by 3/16 and however long it takes to get ACROSS the seat frame, get rid ( grind the welds or cut ) of the rest of the original (VW) seat rails and space two BMW rails where you need them, drill some holes and bolt the rails ( they come apart just use the top half ) to the cross brackets you just welded on, slide the bottom part of the rail back on and bolt them in the car.

thanks charles...

i'm with you...now about the tube rail that runs up the center of the VW seat...is that the part you're saying can be cut off and tossed?