• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT but OH SWEET MOSES! (nt)

POP3Y3

I sorta feel ripped off. When I was a little kid I thought, gee, I'll be a pilot some day and then I can have any car I want. Fast forward to today and pilot jobs don't pay like they used to and cars are a lot more money than they used to be even with inflation taken into account. The rich get richer and the middle just keeps on struggling. I once met a pilot that was flying for Eastern as a co-pilot on a 727 back in 1972. He was making 120K a year. Imagine how many CSL's you could have had. He said he had 3 Corvettes.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I sorta feel ripped off. When I was a little kid I thought, gee, I'll be a pilot some day and then I can have any car I want. Fast forward to today and pilot jobs don't pay like they used to and cars are a lot more money than they used to be even with inflation taken into account. The rich get richer and the middle just keeps on struggling. I once met a pilot that was flying for Eastern as a co-pilot on a 727 back in 1972. He was making 120K a year. Imagine how many CSL's you could have had. He said he had 3 Corvettes.

John

I feel your pain. It's a tough deal when the game you plan on playing gets changed. I wonder what the corvettes went for when Eastern went under. I know from working for a company who owned an airline that no one in the industry would touch an Eastern employee. Tough industry for sure. I met a guy recently at Sebring who was a pilot, but very low man on the totem pole and became an air traffic controller to make a living. He was quite angry about abandoning his dream.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

I sorta feel ripped off. When I was a little kid I thought, gee, I'll be a pilot some day and then I can have any car I want. Fast forward to today and pilot jobs don't pay like they used to and cars are a lot more money than they used to be even with inflation taken into account. I once met a pilot that was flying for Eastern as a co-pilot on a 727 back in 1972. He was making 120K a year. John

I've been trying to tell my nephew that! Of course, I don't know anything. I make twice as much money writing about airplanes than I ever did flying them. He's at ATP right now, spending $40K so that he can get a job flying right seat @ Eagle for 20K per year! There's just something wrong with that.

e46-330ci, e46-325ci Vert., e36-328is, e30-325is, M20-2002, K110, K75, '71 Jeepster Commando

I wonder what the corvettes went for when Eastern went under.

I bought a new one (when I signed my first Pro motorcycle racing contract in '75) and paid $8,192.48. I'll never forget writing that check. I was a long haired kid in old jeans and a T-shirt and the salesmen didn't even want to pay any attention to me. I went to the receptionist and made sure that she got the sale.

e46-330ci, e46-325ci Vert., e36-328is, e30-325is, M20-2002, K110, K75, '71 Jeepster Commando

He's at ATP right now, spending $40K so that he can get a job flying right seat @ Eagle for 20K per year! There's just something wrong with that.

So sad that some people get shown that way and get convinced that it's the only way to make it. I guess it's sorta like residency for doctors except there isn't that much of a pay day when it's all over. Did he do any flight instructing, charter? 20K is an insult considering the flight attendant makes more than that. I interviewed with Continental Express back in the day. It was the biggest waist of time. They (a couple of Beech 1900 capts) went through all the interviewing steps and in the end pulled numbers out of a hat and laughed about it. I think they were paying 14 or 15K back then.

I'm so glad I never went into the airlines.

John

Guest Anonymous

John, are you a pilot? I'm graduating from Purdue's A&P program in May with a Bachelor's in Technology, A&P ticket, ME, and CFI-I. Who are you working for?

P.s. What's so great about three corvettes anyways? I have two BMW's and i'm perfectly happy!

P.s. What's so great about three corvettes anyways? I have two BMW's and i'm perfectly happy!

True, I have a BMW, WRX, Jetta TDi, and a non running MG Midget so I don't have anything to complain about. The pay aint what it used to be.

I fly a Citation X for Flight Options. I have been there going on 9 years and have been captain in the BeechJet, Hawker 800, Falcon 50, and now this .... thing.

John

post-70-13667574415995_thumb.jpg

Did he do any flight instructing, charter?
Nope. He's convinced this is the only way. I got my hours everyway that I could. I ferried anything that would fly (and some that barely did) all over the Northern Hemishere in all kinds of conditions. If I was young and wanted to fly for the airlines, the hot place right now is the Middle East and India. You can actually make some pretty good money with very low time.

Guest Anonymous

Would you mind exchanging a few words sometime? I haven't talked much with people in the Charter side of things as much as i'd like and i've got to make some choices in the next few years.

My email is pmchugh@purdue.edu, let me know when you're free, maybe I could give you a phone call.

Nope. He's convinced this is the only way.

I have a friend that was "taken" by Comair back in the day. Hey, train here and maybe we will give you a job if your lucky.

I flight instructed in a club with 30 airplanes over 3 airports here in Cleveland. At one time I was instructing in , well everything from 152's to 310R and flying single pilot in a BE58 Baron.

152,172,PA28(all kinds), Saratogas(forgot the PA#),M20J,F33A,K35,S35,V35A,182,182RG,206,Seneca1,3. Oh yea, LC30.

I got hired by Corporate Wings as a King Air 100 co-pilot and then they started Flight Options and I have been there ever since. I think Flight Options doesn't look at anyone till they get at least 2800 hrs tt and at least 200 Multi Turbine.

The New M5 touring is sick.

John

post-70-13667574420755_thumb.jpeg