• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Disc Conversion

I think you'd have to use a second caliper for the e- brake-

or, I suppose, a line- lock and a hand pull. But don't forget to set the lock before you pull the brake!

The problem- and see if anyone can come up with a way around it- is that, to use a 2nd mc to actuate the rear brake, there can't be a connection to the main master- it's in 'refill' mode when the pedal's released and will let fluid backflow into its reservoir. Now, a 1- way valve would work for this application- but then, when you stood on the brakes, the rears would never release!

Maybe a valve in the handbrake handle- but now, that's getting complicated and failure- prone.

As to the bleed- down, that's easy- load the e-brake handle with a stout spring, so that when you set the brake, it's preloading a bunch of spring pressure against the caliper...

Me, for a street car, I vote for using a caliper that already has an e-brake provision.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Sure, the stock 2002 is light enough and wimpy enough that you don't 'need' rear discs. But 'performance' isn't the only reason why discs are a nice upgrade. My '84 Volvo 240 is also wimpy (wimpier than a stock 02), and only somewhat heavier, but just about all 240s come with rear discs. And you know what...after ~350k-400k miles of driving, I've NEVER had to screw with the brakes on my Volvo, neither front nor rear. Never had to adjust them, never dealt with a frozen adjuster, never wrestled with crappy springs and goofy hardware bits. In fact on my Volvo the rotors on all four brakes are the originals, and have never even been turned.

On EVERY car I've owned with drum brakes, I've spent numerous hours adjusting them, or dealing with pathetic self-adjusters, or wrestling with goofy springs, and wondering how I'm going to get the drum off when the shoes are frozen against it, etc. Drum brakes basically stink (So do some disc brakes, like the front brakes on my old 1-ton Dodge van). Drums aree OK if it's all you've got, but I'll vote for 4-wheel discs every time. Someday I'll actually have them on my 02, but my 02 is just a pile of parts right now, so it doesn't matter much.

Mike

John,

What happened to the rubber bush on your spring perch?

I have them on the top but not the bottom. I'll probably get some for the bottoms. I have seen springs held in plave with zip ties.

just about all 240s come with rear discs.

All Volvo cars from the 140 on have disc brakes in the rear. I loved all 8 of my Volvos. Now after many years, I'm Volvo free!!!!!!!

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Guest Anonymous

I would show you the progress so far if I can ever get Photobucket to work to post my pics.

A quick snapshot so far:

Spring perch welded in on 323 trailing arms

primed, painted everything

New bushings, bolts installed

Rear diff installed

Rebuilt half shafts and drilled out to fit 323 axel stubs, installed

Rear assembly back on "Lola"

What's left:

Waiting on last of parts (disks, pads)

New hard lines to bend in shape and install (Not fun)

Final measurement for custom stainless steel brake lines

Fix Clutch Master tube (how to pull out that rubber thingy and not-damage it I'll never know

Fluids and bleed