• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does one install a Horn Contact from 320i

I just purchased this horn contact adapter from 2002AD:

horn.jpg

Does anyone have a technique for installing this thing onto a 2002 steering column?

I'm using a later model steering wheel, so I need this to make adequate contact with the contact ring on the steering wheel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve Vonk

'74 BMW 2002 Atlantik

Thanks for the suggestion, but the BayArea02 article indicates modifications to the contact ring on the steering wheel. From what I understand from 2002AD, this contact

horn.jpg

is supposed to be mounted to the steerinf column somewhere and then no modifications to the 320i steering wheel are needed.

Is there any other wisdom?

Steve Vonk

'74 BMW 2002 Atlantik

Looks like it mounts to the plate the turn signal and wiper switches mount to at the top of the steering column. You unplug and remove the existing horn contact ring from the column surround and replace it with that contact. If it does attach to the switch mounting screws, no other mods are needed. Nice. That is the ideal solution to adapting the horn connection of an E21 steering wheel.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

320i: spring-loaded contact is on steering column.

2002: spring-loaded contact is on steering wheel; the column does not have mounting holes for a contact.

My information comes from improvising a setup like this years ago on my car. I got a contact like the one in your photo, except mine did not have the long plate riveted to its base. I drilled two holes in the butterfly plate that holds the switches, and I bolted the contact to the plate with short spacers. (I don't know if my contact was from a 320i.)

Based on your photo, I'm speculating that on the 2002AD contact, the long baseplate eliminates the need for the drilling, spacers, and bolts. I'm guessing that the holes in the long base plate line up with the lower switch mounting holes.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators