• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bolting up to motor stand

DannyWOT

I'm not sure on the thread/pitch numbers of the bolts, (someone else will chime in shortly with those numbers for you in a little while I'm sure), but one thing you might consider when putting the engine on the stand is to mount it sideways using the passenger side motor mount location. I prefer mounting M10 motors this way because it lets me install the clutch and pressure plate while the motor is still on the stand, while still maintaining plenty of access around the rest of the motor.

Just food for thought, have fun...

-s

Shad

'70 2002 #671 "Bimmerschmitt"

'70 2002 BADUDA aka 'Wall Art'

'72 2002 #672 Sold

'73 2002 Sold

'79 528i Daily Driver (future ETC Clone)

I prefer mounting M10 motors this way because it lets me install the clutch and pressure plate while the motor is still on the stand, while still maintaining plenty of access around the rest of the motor.

You just run bolt through the motor stand to the one motor mounting location? Thanks for the idea. I'll be doingthis myself in a month or so. That would definitely make things a lot easier to work with.

Pete

You can always use the transmission bolts. Or go to the hardware store and buy something long enough to fit. It all depends on the stand you are using and how thick the swing arms are that go between the engine and the stand.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Hmmm....I just did my motor.....and I can't remember which bolt sizes, though some of them will go through threadless holes, so it won't matter. Just use big bolts, washers and nuts.

I've heard that you can bolt the stand to the intake side of the motor, though, which would enable clutch mounting......try it!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Did you do a search?...I know this was discussed before, complete with bolt lengths and sizes with pitch, etc.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"