• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I washed my car....

BOBERL15

So I washed my car today, then drove it 25 miles to work. The drive is primarily highway, the last 2 miles is stop and go. After I got off the highway each time I would start from a stop light my car will cut out and then all of the sudden re-engage and take off. (when I say cut out, engine is completely dead, the restarts itself).

Please help, it will be a long walk home from work tonight!

Thanks,

Ben

74 tii - malaga

anything? Are you putting in the clutch and then letting out - effectively "roll-starting" the car?

Anyway- I suspect an ignition problem. Check your coil wire and anything associated with distributor and plug wires.

Check also for loose alternator and voltage regulator conections. Check the main grounds.

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

Check the wire going to the points/condensor on the distributor...the wire comes off the firewall and if it's loose at all, you will get the symptoms you described.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT