• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: Aftermarket products better than offered by dealer?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

It seems most boardmember's recommendations for parts or products (e.g., antifreeze) usually point to the materials offered by the friendly BMW dealer. However, every once in a while, someone invents a better mousetrap.

Challenging the colllective wisdom/experience of FAQ'er's : Are there aftermarket products/parts that are better than what the dealer offers?

What are they?

Thanks

Largely depends on the application(where the parts are being used). As far as seals, trim pieces, etc., it's tough to beat the O.E. For the cooling system I use Pentosin. For spark plugs I use aftermarket Bosch.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Guest Anonymous

The german and japinese car parts suppliers use the same quality parts for both their dealer and retail sale. When you buy the correct BOSCH plug for your 02 its the same plug from the dealer and a good independent. This is also true for items such as oil filters, if you know what you are looking at in the code numbers you can tell if its a Mann or Mahle filter. In many cases companies such as Lemforter and FAG (no snickering!!!) grind down the BMW cast mark in their parts. Its quite amusing once you start looking for these markings. Your bosch distributer cap is made on the same line just the box is different. Basicly any German made part for your BMW is a quality component. If its made in china or the US then its your decision. YES most radiators are made in the middle east now days due to extreamly lax envirnmental regulations and cheap high skilled labor.

ON your japinese vehicles the story is the same, Nipon is their bosch.

Sam

LaValle's Import Restorations

Guest bruno74tii

(or even Ansa) and Pertronix rather than points, if you are talking performance upgrades. For replacementment parts only, Meyle, I believe, makes a better water pump (bigger impeller); PBR Metal Master brake pads are an upgrade over stock (less dust); Redline fluids work better in older gearboxes and diffs. And there are better wheel cleaners than the BMW spray. Otherwise, I'm pretty much a stock guy.

I was having this discussion with a friend that works for CAR QUEST in CANADA...and a friend that work in a garage that used to buy most of his stock there...

When aftermarket makers opened and started to sell stuf long time ago, it was to offer better prices than the dealer was offering (stealer).

But now with all the competition, these aftermarket sellers sells pieces of crap at a higher price.

My friend and i were facing several situations where the knock off part price is higher than OEM, and so cheap...

examples ??

How about a Walker exhaust system that did last 2 years, it did fall of of the car from a to z, totaly busted.

How about MOOG "problem sovler" ball joints (problem creator we call ), with the oh so cool greasing niple feature...last 1 year or so MAXIMUM !!

How about GABRIEL or MONROE chocks...last 2 year maximum...

How about BRAKES that dont brake ?? they just smoke and burn rotors.

the list is very long. My friend recals himself that they sell crap, crap and crap. They want to make money, thats it.

But they seems to be aware of it (Car quest among the list of aftermarket sellers), and they change some lineup of products...

They recently changed their line of chocks for KYB...

GET OEM !!! it last longer and fits perfectly.

pfff !!!

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

I was having this discussion with a friend that works for CAR QUEST in CANADA...and a friend that work in a garage that used to buy most of his stock there...

When aftermarket makers opened and started to sell stuf long time ago, it was to offer better prices than the dealer was offering (stealer).

But now with all the competition, these aftermarket sellers sells pieces of crap at a higher price.

My friend and i were facing several situations where the knock off part price is higher than OEM, and so cheap...

examples ??

How about a Walker exhaust system that did last 2 years, it did fall of of the car from a to z, totaly busted.

How about MOOG "problem sovler" ball joints (problem creator we call ), with the oh so cool greasing niple feature...last 1 year or so MAXIMUM !!

How about GABRIEL or MONROE chocks...last 2 year maximum...

How about BRAKES that dont brake ?? they just smoke and burn rotors.

the list is very long. My friend recals himself that they sell crap, crap and crap. They want to make money, thats it.

But they seems to be aware of it (Car quest among the list of aftermarket sellers), and they change some lineup of products...

They recently changed their line of chocks for KYB...

GET OEM !!! it last longer and fits perfectly.

pfff !!!

German OEM replacement parts have the WORST quality record of any mfgrs. Thats just a fact. Ive seen it first hand, getting a NEW part that is already a failure when installed, and this is at a dealership (where i got the stats)... Japanese are the best, predictably. american (who cares)... etc...

German OEM replacement parts have the WORST quality record of any mfgrs. Thats just a fact. Ive seen it first hand, getting a NEW part that is already a failure when installed, and this is at a dealership (where i got the stats)... Japanese are the best, predictably. american (who cares)... etc...

yeah, japanese predictable...you already know its a piece of sh*t, thats predictatble...

my experiences dont apply to everything on the planet, hopefully.

Can you actualy get something OEM better than OEM ????

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel