• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Fuel gauge/sender units not working-any tips?

zimmer

Before you do these steps below, turn the ign on, then take the hot lead from the sender unit and ground it. If the gauge moves, the problem is in the sender. Next, make sure the ground wire at the sender is actually grounding. If both are OK, then go thru these steps below...

1. Remove sender unit from tank (let it drain before pulling all the way out)

2. pop off the plastic/brass filter screen at the bottom of the aluminum housing, then CAREFULLY unscrew the nut that holds the housing in place.

3. With the housing removed, you'll see the float, which moves up and down some hair-fine resistance wires to give you your fuel level reading. My suspicion is that either the float is gummed to the resistance wire (clean CAREFULLY with carburetor cleaner), the wire is broken (somewhere I have specs on the resistance in ohms/inch for replacement wire) or the filter screen is so gummed up no gas is getting inside the housing.

If you have to replacethe whole unit be advised the senders came in different lengths, so be sure and get the correct one for your car. Also, you'll need a new sender unit O-ring so it won't leak gas into your trunk.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

you were right-it was the sender. I opened it up and it was gummed up.I did what you said and cleaned with some carb cleaner. The gauze filter was torn-although i dont think it will make any difference. I now have it sitting in some coca cola to get the rust off-better than drinking the stuff and cheaper than replacing the sender!!

ill put it back tomorrow and see what happens-you dont think the coke will dissolve the wires ,do u?

zimmer

do two things:

1) clean the gas tank out thoroughly--or have it boiled out professionally and (2) install a fuel filter just upstream from the fuel pump (if you don't have one already)

I'd tryand find a replacement screen (it's not availbe as a spare part but I'll bet someone on the board has a junk sender with a good screen they'd part with). Old gas tanks get pretty cruddy inside, and that screen with at least keep the big chunks outa your fuel filter...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite