• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Head Selection

kayakboy

I am rebuilding a 1973 Tii and need a new head. I have heard that the earlier ('72) heads had a better design. My pistons are stock. Which one would be the best to get? I am trying to keep it as origonal as possible, but i would rather have a better designed head than total origonality. Thank you, Ty

If you take the wings off a fly, is it a walk?

Just so you know, your original head will have the correct model year cast into it.

Do you want original?

A different year replacement head can be determined without opening the engine.

I'm not suggesting you don't swap heads, I'm just saying it's not entirely invisible.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

I allready have a stock head, but I beleive it is badly warped. I have acess to a 121 head but that is not origonal. I am wondering if the 121 would be an improvement or if I should try to get the origonal E12 head. Thanks, Ty

If you take the wings off a fly, is it a walk?

You will need the E12 head. The 121 head will not work with your pistons.

What you heard about the 121 head is also wrong. The valves are bigger and the flow design is better in the E12 head. The upgrade path for the earlier engines is the E12 head.

A 73 or 74 Tii head cores are not easy to find anymore. They would have the casting area closed where the fuel pump mounts on the head for the carb cars. There are blanking plates which can be made to cover the hole with a bolt if you cannot find one. A 73-76 E12 head would be the best match for you.

Good luck

Ben