• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E28 seats

schnell944

I was wondering if anyone has had success with E28 seats in their 2002(front or rear). I read the FAQ seat write-up, but it didn't really mention these. I'm just asking because I founds some nice black ones for cheap. I don't really want to modify the '02 mounts though.

I've been looking around for seats. Found some nice acura seats cheap but feel they don't look right in the car. Want something that looks stock but is maybe a little more supportive. Don't have the cash for/can't find good 320is recaros.

I am also wondering, do regular E30 seats sit as high as the E30 recaros? I am assuming they do, but figured I'd ask.

I can't imagine how well they'd fit. Pre-85 seats were manual - the rest powered, with very heavy motors/bases.

The only 02s with E30 seats I've been in that didn't have radical 02 floor surgery to make them fit sat very high, and I'm only 5'9".

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Don't forget the e28 seats don't fold, unless access to the back seat isn't an issue. Widthwise, the sport seats are 20" across the bottoms and backs compared to 23" for the stock 02 seats.

John is right about the weight issue. There are three heavy motors associated with them and 12 buttons per seat (!) for adjustment. IIRC, the similar sport seats from the e30 are manual.

Both the e30 and e28 seats sit on a flat floor as opposed to how the 02 rails are mounted on the raised sheet metal floor plinths -- so the seat bottoms will sit up really high in the 02.

If you want some more dimensions, our 535is has sport seats. Tell me what you want + I can send some along numbers.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

I found a set of e28s that looked to be exactly the same as e21s.

I thought the seller might have made a mistake but I didn't want to invest the money to find out otherwise. Also I couldn't find any information about moubting e28s in a 2002.

The set I was looking at folded and were manual (not power) seats.

Is it possible that over the years they changed the seat design in these cars?

E28 seats came in two flavors, comfort and sport. The comfort seats are wider, softer, with relatively small side bolsters and a folding arm rest at the center. They are manually operated. e28 Sport seats are narrow, with tall side bolsters and are always electrically operated. There would be no reason for them to fold as the e28 only came with 4 doors.

Perhaps what you found were either e30 or e24 (6er) seats, or someone had installed folding seats in an e28.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us