• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAJOR OIL LEAK!!!!

backtrail69

I just rebuilt my first m10. I replaced, all seals, bearings, gaskets, oil pump, timing chaing, oil pump chain/gear, valve springs (dual), SS valves, grinded seats and a 292 cam and all kinds of other things. I had everything clean as a whistle and block and head hot tanked. I just got the car running this weekend and it blew out the oil seal on the filter. I bought a new filter and filled up the oil again. It did it again. I put the seal back on and tightened it more...did it again. What the heck is wrong with my motor. I am VERY close to giving up on this car. I have spent SOOOO much time and money on this car and nothing ever seems to go right.

Thanks for your Help,

Isaac

'87 325 4dr, '74 2002

This topic came up awhile back. Do a search with "pressure relief valve" to find it. Seemed there was an easy fix and one that involved pulling the oil pan.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

A cheap junky oil filter shouldnt blow as fast as these did. We are correct that those cheap filters for a multitude of reasons are no good (see pressure of valve, if it even has a valve, and filtering ability). Before we condem the pump as being bad I think some investagation is in order. First is this a new oil pump? Did you prime the new pump? Failure to do this can trash the pump leading to this problem. How did you prime the new pump? Either way I think the pump is trashed (and its pressure valve) but we dont want you to repeat this experence with another new pump. I have also heard of the Febi oil pump problems but have yet to see one that had this problem (we are avoiding them just to be safe).

Sam

LaValle's Import Restorations

Isaac,

Take a step back, take a deep breath, calm down all is not lost. Most likely as others have suggested you have an oil pressure regulator problem.

This means that either the oil pressure regulator is stuck or assembled incorrectly. If you did not assemble the oil pump to the regulator piston/spring assembly correctly, the piston will bottom out on the tube and not allow the oil pump to relieve pressure.

I have seen this done and it basically will blow the filter o-ring out every time upon startup. The febi pumps aren't necesarily bad, as long as you make sure there are no machining chips and trash in them before installation (mine looked like crap when I opened it up from the box)

Take a look at this page http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ST12&mospid=47140&btnr=11_2582&hg=11&fg=30

And make sure you inserted part #10 the correct way. When the pump is assembled correctly the long part of the tube of #10 should protrude out the bottom of the oilpump. If it is put in the opposite way this will cause the problem you have (don't ask how I know this).

If this is not the case, then the piston in the oil pressure relief valve (#8) is sticking in it's bore. Make sure that the cross drilled passages do not have any machining flash left on them that could bind up this piston.

I hope this helps you out. Most likely you are going to need to drop the oilpan and take the pump out for inspection.

Goodluck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Bernard