• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 lug hubs???

Whale

Okay, so I'm stuck at a stop light when I look over and spot a square (sienabrown) 02 parked at a Jack-in-the-Box. While scanning it from across the intersection, I noticed that he has 5 lug wheels on his car!!!

I hung a U-turn, raced back to the parking lot, and waited until the owner came out. He was in a hurry, but had time enough to mutter that the previous owner swapped out the hubs or the entire struts (he couldn't remember which). His cell phone rang and that was the end of the conversation.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? If it is an option, that would open up a whole array of wheel choices. Would hubs/struts from a Barvaria or an early 5 series fit?

BTW, his car looked "average" with no obvious modifications or other enhancements. It was just a basic driver - or so it seemed.

I take this same route each day to/from work. I'll start bringing my camera just in case I happen to see the car again.

this is my opinion but anything with the word "adapter" in it isnt as good as original. ive had nothing but problems with spacers,hub extenders etc etc. i will never again as long as i live run spacers on any of my cars.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I've been looking in to this option myself. I don't know if it's worth all the trouble and money. But with 5x120 pattern there would be a hole range of new wheels available. And of course bigger brakes... ;-)

In the front you could use e12 hubs. I don't know if you should have tii struts or not.

In the rear you can change the trailing arms from a e3 or e9. But I don't know if it's a bolt on replacement (I think it requires some custom drive shafts)

Paul Cain did it like this. Other replacements could be from a M3 E30 in the rear, but then the subframe has to be changed too.

Hope this helps. Maikel

1973 2002tii with original 5 speed CR

1975 1602 project car