• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speaker recommendation

m-racer

My 73 Agave S14 car had no radio or gauges when I bought it. I have recently installed a Parker Performance console insert and a set of VDO vintage series gauges. There is a space for a radio/cd unit in the console. I bought a Blaupunkt Florida unit out of a wrecked Porsche and it looks pretty good (newer stuff seems out of character for the car). Question is: I don't want to cut any holes of any kind. Is there a surface mount speaker that will work on the back shelf (without cutting holes). Crutchfield recommended a Dual marine speaker which seemed ok until I realised that all marine speakers are white (needs to be black). Any ideas? I just want a radio and cd player that work w/o botching up the interior.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

well tim, these marine-style speakers are black...but i think they are still pretty ugly.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sb3G1LqmJXS/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=183050&I=20603KB600

my verona car had a set of el cheapo radioshack realistic speakers on the parcel shelf. i took them out and put in my clarion 6x9s as someone had already cut holes in the shelf before i got the car.

you are welcome to my el cheapos if you don't care if they sound like Otis's boom-pah-pah woofers. they look sorta like these and you could probably just mount them in with velcro.

4250_p.jpg

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

I did Pioneer oblongs with mid and tweeter under the back seat bottom and 4 inch pioneer under the dash. Sounds good. Cutting out for the speakers in the back was a PITA. I comes down to what area you are willing to cut out for. I have seen some speakers mounted in surface mounts at the base next to the side wall floor. Good Luck

they are fairly unobtrusive - I don't see them in my rear view mirror. I drilled a single 3/8 hole to mount each one but easily could be done with simple velcro tape. I also have some 4x6 Alpine ovals under the front dash but you really don't hear them much and could do with out. I have an Alpine single cd am/fm in my console with two VDO guages.

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

tim,

i've got an uncle who lives in Ivor. he and his wife drag race a '69(?) Barracuda, with the greenhouse rear window, named "Grandma's Racer".

names are Anna and Collis Bryant. they travel alot to race their car. most recently, this past Sunday, in Dinwiddie.

really cool old car though. crate motor. RED in color, lotsa decals, really professional looking, nicely finished.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

tim,

i've got an uncle who lives in Ivor. he and his wife drag race a '69(?) Barracuda, with the greenhouse rear window, named "Grandma's Racer".

names are Anna and Collis Bryant. they travel alot to race their car. most recently, this past Sunday, in Dinwiddie.

really cool old car though. crate motor. RED in color, lotsa decals, really professional looking, nicely finished.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

Randy, I only live in Va. about 4 mos of the year, but Ivor is about 15 mins or less from me when I'm there. If you get there to see your uncle, let me know. Tim

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

• 2 weeks later...

Up under the dash works well. If your seats are stock, I've noticed there's lots of room inside the back for a 4-8 inch sub of some kind or a 6x9 if you like to feel it more. There's also room under the backseat.. if you should cut anything in the future, I'd install 6x9s or what- have you in the vertical metal under there. sounds much better, sun wont rot em, and much harder to see from outside as well as keeps the trunk sealed to itself eleminating gas or exaust fume issues. speakers have come a long way lately. Use some high end fronts and use rears for the "fill" instead of the other way round and it should sound pretty clear.

Tim. 2 daily drivers

His: 68' 1602-

Hers: 76' 2002 auto-